Hi, this is my first time not only brewing cider, but anything for that matter.
I wanted to start simple, and, because I did this on a whim, have used less-than-top-shelf ingredients.
1. Baker's yeast
2. "Simply Apple" apple juice
3. Bendy straws and a glass of everclear (in place of an airlock)
4. Brown sugar
I am only making 1/2 gallon just to see how it goes.
I am also using cinnamon and cloves to flavor my cider, and will most likely be using a bit of vanilla extract as well (I love vanilla!).
What I would like to know is...
1. Should I add the spices before, during, or after fermentation?
2. How can I be sure that ALL of the yeast is at the bottom of the container when I go to siphon it off?
3. How should I go about making it sparkle? I don't want to risk breaking the bottle I am using for primary fermentation...Its not actually mine, just borrowed