Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fermenting in light

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
Toppers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermenting in light

I did a search and couldn't find anything. Any adverse effects on the yeast if fermented in, say, a kitchen where it gets a decent amount of light? I know direct sunlight will roast a batch, asking about indoor lighting.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I keep all my batches in my basement out of "direct" light. As you mentioned direct sunlight screws with the hops causing them to "skunk". Minor ambient light in the area of the carboy shouldn't be much of concern. I keep mine like I said in my basement, but its not 100% pitch black. Light filters in from the blinds.

To be on the safe side I would cover it up, you can use anything, a x-large tshirt, cardboard box. I have yet to have ambient light hurt anything, but since its upstairs where I am sure its brighter then my basement I would just cover it with something light weight to not contribute to temp rise.

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 06-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Germey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Too much UV (and yes, fluorescent lights put out some UV) will not be good for your yeast. They prefer the dark. It would probably still work and you might not be able to tell the difference (unless your kitchen is REALLY bright, and you never turn off the lights and there is full direct sunlight beaming on it during the day), but it is so very easy to put a tee shirt on the car boy or drape a light towel over it.
Light will also affect the hops in beer, but you are doing cider, so no worries there.

Quick Reply