New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > in the fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default in the fermenter

My first attempt at cider is underway. Nothing fancy. Just apple cider, yeast, and yeast nutrient.

Specifically:
3 gallons of pasteurized, but preservative free organic apple cider from a local farm (via Whole Foods)
~3 tsp of yeast nutrient
1 vial of Burton Ale Yeast

O.G. 1.050

I'm trying to make something not too dry, hence the lack of additions and the ale yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds like you are going about this all right. Congrats. I always think people should start with juice + yeast + time. A lot of people say try apfelwein first, but its best to try true cider first. You may need to backsweeten depending on how sweet you are going to want it, but the ale yeast has a good chance of leaving it in the 1.000-1.008 range

Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks. I knew I wanted a cider - not the Apfelwein. I also don't really care what the ABV is. 5% is plenty for me. I know that I can't duplicate the sweetness found in commercial ciders, but I wanted to avoid drying it out completely. I'd like to carbonate it some too, so I'm not sure if I'll back sweeten.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

if you use an ale yeast, it should leave some residual sugar. If you'd prefer a woodchuck or hornsby like sweetness, you could add just a bit of nonfermentable sugar. That way, say your ale yeast finishes it at 1.005 and you'd prefer it at 1.015, you could add splenda/lactose/stevia/etc to bring it up just that .010. You're end up with a nice light and sweet cider, that you can still carbonate and isn't depending solely on nonfermentable sweeteners.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #5
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Not sure I want something as sweet as Woodchuck. Maybe more like Samuel Smith's. I'll see where it finishes and how it tastes and then decide.

About how long should I plan on leaving it in the fermenter? I wasn't planning on racking it.

My Beer Cellar

Old 02-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #6
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I prefer to use at least a secondary, if not a tertiary, as in racking once if not twice. But you don't have to if you choose not to, you will find a lot of the homebrew "facts" are actually just guidelines and personal preferences. But, I would suggest if you're not going to rack it, have it in your mind that it will be staying in there for 3 months. The most important thing to consider before bottling is that fermentation is complete. That is, it has reached a logical FG and is remaining there, as confirmed by consistent hydrometer readings. The second most important thing is that it is crystal clear, as in you can read a newspaper through it clear.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:37 AM   #7
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
The most important thing to consider before bottling is that fermentation is complete. That is, it has reached a logical FG and is remaining there, as confirmed by consistent hydrometer readings. The second most important thing is that it is crystal clear, as in you can read a newspaper through it clear.
I'm not sure that the 2nd thing is all that important. It's basically aesthetic only and doesn't affect taste, IMO.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I know that I can't duplicate the sweetness found in commercial ciders, but I wanted to avoid drying it out completely.
Yes you can, next time take a .5 lbs of crystal 60 L and steep it in a half gallon of water at 155 for 30 mins. Add that to the juice and pitch your yeast. It will sweeten by balancing out the tart you get from juice and yeast.

If you want it to have more body you can always use some carapils/dextrine for the steeping part.

Quick Reply