New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fermentation stopped at 1.040???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Apollofrost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation stopped at 1.040???

Ok, I made a 1 Gallon batch of cider using Steinburg's Wine Yeast from The Beverage People in Santa Rosa. They said that the yeast would leave a little left over sugar but I didn't expect it to stop fermenting at 1.040! I didn't get a SG but it's definitely around 5-7% abv. I'm priming a test bottle to see if it will carb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Give us your recipe so we can figure out your OG. If you bottle at that high of a SG you have some serious risk of bottle bombs if you don't handle it right.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

1.040 isn't a little sugar, that's ten times what you would use for priming.

How long has this been fermenting? My blackberry wine 'stuck' at 1.033 for a week, then restarted and hit 0.991 a month later.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Apollofrost
Recipes 

The original recipe was:
1 Gallon apple juice from concentrate. No preservatives.
2 Cups dark brown sugar.
1/2 Cup honey.

It was started a week and a half ago with half a week of no activity. I'm aware that fermentation can stall only to resume later with no warning. I just bottled the one bottle and it's in a safe place for that very reason. I'll move it to the fridge after a week.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

A week and a half is far from done, or at least most likely. You definitely need to give it plenty of more time. I estimate your OG at around 1.098 which is quite high for a cider, more in the apple wine area. While at 1.040 you are sitting at 7.7% you still have plenty to go as I said. I'd imagine you would still drop to around 1.000 with out stabilizing or cold crashing. That would leave you around 12.9% which will take some time to mellow but should be pretty tasty.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #6
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Degass the must by stirring with a spoon; the CO2 in solution is poisoning the yeast, and stirring will also rouse the yeast back in suspension. Then, add 1/2tsp of yeast energizer/nutrient .

Old 11-14-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
Apollofrost
Recipes 

I've decided to just cold crash it then clear with some good old powdered sea creatures. I'll let you know in a month or so how it turns out.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That sounds like a bad idea man. Even if you cold crash it, there are going to be enough live yeast in the bottles to make a huge mess. You could sorbate it to keep the fermentation from going any further, but you wouldn't get any carbonation.

It would be normal to have a high finishing gravity if you started with an extremely high starting gravity, but at that point you'd be looking at ~15-18% alcohol, not the 7-8% you're seeing now.

Last edited by GNBrews; 11-16-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:39 AM   #9
Apollofrost
Recipes 

Oh, you misunderstood. I only bottled the one as a kind of experiment and was well aware of the risks. I've already cold crashed the rest of the batch and racked into a secondary with some sparkolloid to help it clear. I'll be making a sweet still cider.

I drank the bottle I had reserved and there was definitely an apple taste under the raw taste of the alcohol, but it tasted really dry for something 1.040.

Quick Reply