Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fermentation/sanitisation questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Larso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Fermentation/sanitisation questions

Hi,
I'm new to cider, but been brewing beer for about 2yrs. I Did a cider making course with this guy last saturday http://www.fruitandvine.com/How_to_b...-41-z-home.htm
I was given a gallon bottle of pressed apple juice(with campden added) after the course. I let it sit and start fermenting as he recommended with whatever natural yeasts were in it. He also seemed quite lax about sanitation(whereas I'm used to being completely anal about sanitation when brewing beer).
1. Am I right in saying that because 'all' of the sugars ferment out of cider that theres no real opportunity for infection to take hold so sanitation isnt as important? Are 'clean' bottles enough for bottling cider and do I need to make a sugar syrup to sanitise by boiling or can I just dump a teaspoon in the bottle?
2. Can anyone tell me about unfermentable vs fermentable sugars in cider(for sweetness) or does this not exist because theres no mash process?

Thanks

L

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

I've never made cider using wild/natural yeasts, so am not speaking from experience, but I would probably sanitize the bottles etc just as if I were using cultivated yeast.

In my cider making experience, you are right that the yeast will eat up all the apple sugars, leaving the cider dry.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Infections can take hold even in dry cider. Many microbes don't eat the sugar but instead will feast upon the acid or the alcohol. Sanitation is very important, sure you can get away without sometimes, but why risk your hard work?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks guys, I'll sanitise as usual then. I assume he was just referring to short term storage as he definitely knows his business as a craft cider maker....

Thanks

L

Old 10-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
gcastrat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Answering #1.. go for high quality bottles (EZ-CAP) and use a carboy cleaner on each one.
Check your local water report, if it's full of bacteria sanitize. If it's clean of bacteria, forget about it permanently. Use same procedure for beer. Carboys and pre-fermentation stuff is a different story though. Sanitize all that before starting. Worst case is that some isolated bottle tastes funky.

Quick Reply