Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fermentation question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
dmulligan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

How can i take a reading with all of that particulate there? My thief takes it from the bottom of course.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
gilrain
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmulligan View Post
How can i take a reading with all of that particulate there? My thief takes it from the bottom of course.
Hm, can't you just sight along the level of the liquid, like normal? The number you need to read should be even with the liquid, not submerged... so it shouldn't be tricky. Maybe I'm not understanding how you're doing this, but if you have a standard, floating hydrometer, it should be easy to read even in an opaque fluid.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
dmulligan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilrain View Post
Hm, can't you just sight along the level of the liquid, like normal? The number you need to read should be even with the liquid, not submerged... so it shouldn't be tricky. Maybe I'm not understanding how you're doing this, but if you have a standard, floating hydrometer, it should be easy to read even in an opaque fluid.
I cannot read the hydrometer through my opaque primary fermenter which means I have to use a thief to extract some cider from it. If I use the thief to get it out it will pull the liquid from the bottom. Are you suggesting that the liquid with lots of lees in it will be the same SG as the clear stuff up top?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:10 AM   #14
gilrain
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmulligan View Post
I cannot read the hydrometer through my opaque primary fermenter which means I have to use a thief to extract some cider from it. If I use the thief to get it out it will pull the liquid from the bottom. Are you suggesting that the liquid with lots of lees in it will be the same SG as the clear stuff up top?
Yes, that's what I was trying to say in my first response. I'm sorry it wasn't clear. (Pun intended!)

Old 11-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #15
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

simple...don't put the thief all the way to the bottom. if you need to fill your test vial up more, just dip your thief in again. I do it this way all the time, rather than shoving the thief down to the bottom and sucking up sediment.

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Old 11-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #16
dmulligan
Recipes 

I just went to do it and came up with so much particulate/precipitate that I didn't believe that it wouldn't have an effect my reading. So I tried just using my thief against the side of the primary and voila. Worked like a charm. It took 3 dips but it came up far more clear. I took a reading with the much smaller amount of particulate floating around and read 1.006! After only a week. I am so excited!

Thanks,
David

Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #17
gilrain
Recipes 

Hm, I guess my understanding is inaccurate then. I'm sorry about the misinformation!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #18
dmulligan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweed View Post
simple...don't put the thief all the way to the bottom. if you need to fill your test vial up more, just dip your thief in again. I do it this way all the time, rather than shoving the thief down to the bottom and sucking up sediment.
You don't have to push the little needle in? I did not know that, never dropped the thief in slowly enough to notice before.

Thanks!
David

Quick Reply