Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fermentation question
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
dmulligan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 53
Default

How can i take a reading with all of that particulate there? My thief takes it from the bottom of course.

__________________
dmulligan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
gilrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmulligan View Post
How can i take a reading with all of that particulate there? My thief takes it from the bottom of course.
Hm, can't you just sight along the level of the liquid, like normal? The number you need to read should be even with the liquid, not submerged... so it shouldn't be tricky. Maybe I'm not understanding how you're doing this, but if you have a standard, floating hydrometer, it should be easy to read even in an opaque fluid.
__________________
gilrain is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
dmulligan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilrain View Post
Hm, can't you just sight along the level of the liquid, like normal? The number you need to read should be even with the liquid, not submerged... so it shouldn't be tricky. Maybe I'm not understanding how you're doing this, but if you have a standard, floating hydrometer, it should be easy to read even in an opaque fluid.
I cannot read the hydrometer through my opaque primary fermenter which means I have to use a thief to extract some cider from it. If I use the thief to get it out it will pull the liquid from the bottom. Are you suggesting that the liquid with lots of lees in it will be the same SG as the clear stuff up top?
__________________
dmulligan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 01:10 AM   #14
gilrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmulligan View Post
I cannot read the hydrometer through my opaque primary fermenter which means I have to use a thief to extract some cider from it. If I use the thief to get it out it will pull the liquid from the bottom. Are you suggesting that the liquid with lots of lees in it will be the same SG as the clear stuff up top?
Yes, that's what I was trying to say in my first response. I'm sorry it wasn't clear. (Pun intended!)
__________________
gilrain is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #15
flyweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 420
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

simple...don't put the thief all the way to the bottom. if you need to fill your test vial up more, just dip your thief in again. I do it this way all the time, rather than shoving the thief down to the bottom and sucking up sediment.

__________________
5 gal secondary: Strawberry Mead
1 gallon secondary: Blood orange Mead
1 gallon secondary: Grape Mead
On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider
flyweed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #16
dmulligan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 53
Default

I just went to do it and came up with so much particulate/precipitate that I didn't believe that it wouldn't have an effect my reading. So I tried just using my thief against the side of the primary and voila. Worked like a charm. It took 3 dips but it came up far more clear. I took a reading with the much smaller amount of particulate floating around and read 1.006! After only a week. I am so excited!

Thanks,
David

__________________
dmulligan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #17
gilrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 19
Default

Hm, I guess my understanding is inaccurate then. I'm sorry about the misinformation!

__________________
gilrain is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #18
dmulligan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweed View Post
simple...don't put the thief all the way to the bottom. if you need to fill your test vial up more, just dip your thief in again. I do it this way all the time, rather than shoving the thief down to the bottom and sucking up sediment.
You don't have to push the little needle in? I did not know that, never dropped the thief in slowly enough to notice before.

Thanks!
David
__________________
dmulligan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fermentation Question mroberts1204 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 06-08-2009 01:40 PM
Fermentation Question Mesa512 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 03-14-2009 03:54 AM
Fermentation Question mortimer77 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 12-28-2008 11:02 PM
Another Fermentation Question OblivionsGate Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 09-12-2007 02:14 AM
Fermentation question ratm4484 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 12-01-2006 02:40 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS