Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > fermentation not started

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
rjschroed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default fermentation not started

I should probably just RDWHAHB but it's been nearly 24 hours and my cider hasn't started fermenting yet. I used about 5.5 gallons of unpasturized, no preservatives fresh press sweet cider from a orchard about 5 miles from my house (there are actually 8-10 within 20 miles of me here in NW ohio), add 2 lbs of honey (I guess that makes this a cyser), no k-meta (after reading every post of Cvillekevins sticky, I choose not to use it), and nottingham yeast. OG started at 1.051. This is my first time with cider and I'd have expected it to start by now much like any homebrew I've done. any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How do you know it hasn't started? It does not look like beer fermenting. About 3/4 of the ciders I've made just kind a sat there looking boring but they all fermented down just fine without any visible signs.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
rjschroed
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The airlock isn't bubbling, not even a little bit. I guess without taking another reading with the hydrometer I wouldn't know for sure. That would involve sanitizing the theif again, etc. etc. and risk infection. If your telling me it doesn't look like much of anything when it ferments then that good enough for me to at least wait a couple of days before testing SG. I have no experience with cider so what your saying makes me feel better. I guess I'll just RDWHAHB. Thank you.

Quick Reply