New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Ferment wort on a cider yeast cake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
wascostreet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ferment wort on a cider yeast cake?

So I've got a cider going right now using local unpasteurized, unfiltered cider with no added yeast -- wild yeasties only. It's really cooking along and I should have a healthy yeast cake when it's done and settled.

A crazy thought occurred to me that I've got a real wild yeast here that could be pretty unique. If you were to match a beer style that would work well with cider notes, what would you choose? Since I do 2.5 gallon batches, it's no big loss if it turns out awful which it very well could.

I was thinking maybe a light, crisp ale -- specifically a spiced wit style that I'm experimenting with (basically Mothership Wit). Anyone ever tried this or have strong feelings either way?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
jacob1484
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

never tried it so I have no first hand knowledge but I've heard something about a cider yeast cake not doing well with wort but a beer yeast cake will make fine cider... Something about it being hard to get the yeast to go from processing simple sugars (fruit) to complex sugars (malt). YMMV and I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to fill in the huge blanks I'm leaving here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply