Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fantastic Hard Cider Recipe with Instructions (and fall spice / cherry variations)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #41
BeastMaster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Did a batch of this and tasted today finally. I was afraid it wouldnt be good because I didnt add yeast nutrients and during fermentation it smelled pretty nasty, luckily no off flavors. I made my 5 gallon batch and mixed with two cinnamon sticks and 1t of nutmeg boiled in 1 cup of water. To me it tasted a little dry with just enough nutmeg/cinnamon flavor. The real taste test was done by SWMBO, as this was for her. She said it was on the sweeter end of cider spectrum, which is what she prefers. I used lalvin EC-1118 Wine yeast. Definitely making this again. Next round will be a split batch with one half getting black cherry back sweetened and the other getting an apple cider/brown sugar/water mixture. Thanks OP, this recipe is just what I needed as an excuse to buy a few more kegs!

"I'd like to say I don't drink their beer out of principle, but the truth is, they just make crappy beer."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #42
JSahrle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Making this recipe. 7 days in. Used yeast nutrient, pectin, and fresh apple cider. Its very yellow. It looks more like orange juice than anything else. Still bubbling away.

Will the color mellow within the next 7 days?

Old 11-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #43
jak1010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 512 Times on 395 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Yup, very typical for it to turn the color of OJ. Once the vigorous fermentation is done, it'll settle and clear.

forumrunner_20131110_223407.jpg

Here's mine on the 5th day of fermentation.

Add to this thread or just read it and have a few laughs.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/ocd-...rences-458188/

Old 11-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #44
krk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krk View Post
First attempt at hard cider. Followed recipe exactly. Used Bergman Orchards Cider(Port Clinton OH) which UV pasteurizes and has been making excellent cider for years. No chemicals. Made 10 gals. Bottled almost 4 cases of 12 oz bottles. Bottle pasteurized at 3 days without incident. It was not fully carbonated. I was scared of pasteurizing horror stories. Wife and I tried first sample last night. We waited 2-1/2 weeks after pasteurizing. Smooth, smooth, smooth! Tasted great, slightly sweet, no alcohol overtones, although it finished at over 7% ABV. Couldn't stop reaching for the glass:-) We finished 2 bottles each. Nice kick to it. What a pleasant evening. I don't think I made enough to last the winter. Would be nice with non-hard cider ice cubes or a Honey Crisp or Gala apple slice on rim of glass.

Hats off to danbrewtan, thank you for sharing!
My daughter tried this last weekend and loved it! She wants me to make 6 cases, about 15 gallons, for her fall themed wedding in sept 2014. I'd be happy too. But if I make it next year when Bergmans Orchards starts pressing, the hard cider won' be done in time. If I make it now, Nov 2013, will it keep in bottles that long? I'd hate to use anything but Bergmans because their cider is so good.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #45
Filch
Recipes 

How different would this be if I were to use Apple Juice versus Apple Cider?

Old 11-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #46
rel322
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filch View Post
How different would this be if I were to use Apple Juice versus Apple Cider?
To go off this, are these terms being used interchangeably?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #47
WhackedBear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Great thread. Doing a Cider Batch tonight based off your stuff. Going for a Mulled recipe.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #48
Filch
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel322 View Post
To go off this, are these terms being used interchangeably?
I can't find apple cider around me. Cider to me means raw, unfiltered apple juice (solids in juice)

So I guess my question may be better phrased at how different might I expect this recipe to turn out if I'm using filtered (no solids), apple juice, if there's any difference at all.

Please don't harm the noob.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #49
WhackedBear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Well technically only here in the US where there is a difference between apple juice and cider. Pretty much everywhere else if it is cider it is "Hard Cider". You can use juice. Do you have a Whole Foods? Their 365 brand of juice will work great it even comes in a glass jar(can pitch the yeast and let it go). You are looking for pure juice (100%), nothing with preservatives (polysorbate or sulfides). Just look around your grocery store and look for 100% juice or frozen concentrate.

To put simply all you need to find is something that has apple juice or cider as the first ingredient and no preservatives afterwords and you should be fine.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #50
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krk

My daughter tried this last weekend and loved it! She wants me to make 6 cases, about 15 gallons, for her fall themed wedding in sept 2014. I'd be happy too. But if I make it next year when Bergmans Orchards starts pressing, the hard cider won' be done in time. If I make it now, Nov 2013, will it keep in bottles that long? I'd hate to use anything but Bergmans because their cider is so good.
Ive been making batches of the Caramel Apple Hard Cider from another thread. Batches 1,2 and 4 were made with Walmart Great Value apple juice. Batch 3 was made with Whole Foods 365 Organic cider (because I wanted the 5 one gallon glass jugs). With all sincerety, I found absolutely NO change in flavor at the end of the fermentation prior to backsweetening. All ended with a FG right at 1.000. I use Nottingham yeast. So it does seem to me that the choice of cider or juice going intofermentation has little affect on flavor, but all the flavor comes from the backsweetening.

Quick Reply