Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fall Cider prices

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #31
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Virginia had a great apple crop this year, but prices are still almost double what they were 3 years ago. I have heard stories about processors from Illinois and Michigan offering to buy entire orchards' output for ridiculous money, which is driving the prices up.

OTOH - The apple growers around here have been getting hammered for years by cheap imports, so its good to see them finally getting some decent money on their apple crop. A lot of farmers will be able to get new tractors and fix up their barns this Spring and thousands of new trees will be planted this Fall. And even with the spike in prices, a keg of good cider is still pretty inexpensive to make. So yeah, it kinda sucks that good juice isnt dirt cheap anymore, but its not going to slow us down. My friends and I are getting 120 gallons of juice on Thursday.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #32
todd46
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I know it's not 100% fresh pressed, but Motts Natural is actually pretty damn tasty and a good option. Its a combo of fresh pressed and concentrate, with no preservatives or additives. Looks like cider, tastes like cider. I just started a one gallon batch on Saturday - you can get a gallon for $5 on sale, 50 cents more regular. So, not perfect but it's an option

Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #33
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

A few weeks ago I paid $10/gallon for 75% cider 25% pear west of Milwaukee. It was pressed right in front of me, and picked 30 minutes before. I was told that the yield keeps getting better throughout the season, so hopefully the price will go down a bit.

After doing some research, it looks like the weekend of Sept. 15th is when more orchards will start to have cider in SE WI.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #34
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

where'd you go m stodd?

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #35
FishOn69
Recipes 

I ended up paying $6.50 a gallon near Burlington VT. Owner said that a lot of orchards are not making cider in bulk this year. Rather they are selling to companies like Gerber for higher prices.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #36
furner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Grand Rapids, MI here. One mill that I bought at last year said probably no bulk sales. They brew cider commercially so I can understand they probably cant get enough to fill their brewery orders let alone selling bulk to the public.
Another mill I bought at last year said they will be selling but at a higher price. Not sure how high but they were really cheap and considering the situation I wouldnt mind paying double to get some.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #37
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Local orchard here quoted our club members $5 gallon for bulk fresh cider.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #38
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleKevin View Post
Virginia had a great apple crop this year, but prices are still almost double what they were 3 years ago. I have heard stories about processors from Illinois and Michigan offering to buy entire orchards' output for ridiculous money, which is driving the prices up.

OTOH - The apple growers around here have been getting hammered for years by cheap imports, so its good to see them finally getting some decent money on their apple crop. A lot of farmers will be able to get new tractors and fix up their barns this Spring and thousands of new trees will be planted this Fall. And even with the spike in prices, a keg of good cider is still pretty inexpensive to make. So yeah, it kinda sucks that good juice isnt dirt cheap anymore, but its not going to slow us down. My friends and I are getting 120 gallons of juice on Thursday.
Good to hear VA is having a good year, lived down there for a couple of years and enjoyed the ciders and nice folks at Albemarle Ciderworks in your neck of the woods. Now if only y'all could learn to spell 'Newtown Pippin' correctly!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #39
ebstauffer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here in Indianapolis Im paying $9.75 / gallon for local cider.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #40
Kingofi88
Recipes 

Picked up some Sunday in the Chicago burbs. Pressed in front of me at $7.00 a gallon. I'm going to mix it with some store bought stuff and hope it turns out.

Quick Reply