Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Cider Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/)
-   -   Emergency??? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/emergency-356569/)

CrabandWinkle 09-24-2012 10:51 PM

Emergency???
 
Hi everybody,

I'm VERY new here so apologies for this.

We pressed our first batch of apples on Friday night. That evening I added Camden tablets and on Saturday night added the pectin enzyme. Now I find myself on Monday night (was only able to purchase a hydrometer today) and I haven't added my yeast. I've just added sugar to bring up the potential alcohol and feel that i should be adding my yeast ASAP.
Just wondering if anybody were in my shoes, if you would just add the yeast now, or is it possible to add more camden tablets given the amount of time it has been since pressing (Friday-Monday) to kill off any yeasts that have developed since the first round of tablets?

Thank you kindly... Any help if greatly appreciated!

Yooper 09-24-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrabandWinkle (Post 4441270)
Hi everybody,

I'm VERY new here so apologies for this.

We pressed our first batch of apples on Friday night. That evening I added Camden tablets and on Saturday night added the pectin enzyme. Now I find myself on Monday night (was only able to purchase a hydrometer today) and I haven't added my yeast. I've just added sugar to bring up the potential alcohol and feel that i should be adding my yeast ASAP.
Just wondering if anybody were in my shoes, if you would just add the yeast now, or is it possible to add more camden tablets given the amount of time it has been since pressing (Friday-Monday) to kill off any yeasts that have developed since the first round of tablets?

Thank you kindly... Any help if greatly appreciated!

Go ahead and add the yeast now. I probably wouldn't wait any longer.

CrabandWinkle 09-24-2012 11:24 PM

Yooper- Thanks mate! From browsing this forum I've noticed your posts and was secretly hoping you'd be the person to reply! Just added some champagne yeast and have my fingers crossed that I didnt ruin the whole batch.
Thanks again. I greatly appreciate your knowledgeable and timely response.
Happy Pressing!

Yooper 09-24-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrabandWinkle (Post 4441360)
Yooper- Thanks mate! From browsing this forum I've noticed your posts and was secretly hoping you'd be the person to reply! Just added some champagne yeast and have my fingers crossed that I didnt ruin the whole batch.
Thanks again. I greatly appreciate your knowledgeable and timely response.
Happy Pressing!

No, I don't think you'd get contamination between adding the sulfites on Friday and today. Champagne yeast can outcompete anything anyway, just about, so I think you're good!

Let us know how it comes out in the end.

ditchbanker 09-25-2012 03:58 AM

By the way, I'm jealous that your first batch was personally pressed. I've got about a half dozen batches under my belt and haven't pressed anything yet.

lumpher 09-25-2012 04:03 AM

campden tablets dissipate after about 24 hours, and last about 3-4 days. supposed to last a week, but take that risk only if you feel like rolling the dice

CrabandWinkle 09-25-2012 03:00 PM

Yooper- Thanks again. I will definitely let you know how things progress.

ditchbanker- Thanks mate- We built this massive beast of a press and named it 'Spikehorn' (antlers screwed to the top beam). The amazing part is the scratter we built. It's a shock nobody has been injured yet. It's connected to a 3 horsepower motor and demolishes the apples. Looks like an incredibly dangerous piece of machinery.
We have lined everything with HDPE plastic too, Our goal is to press 3 or 4 more times, hopefully yielding in or around 200 litres to make our 3 planned varieties. Up here in Canada, the varieties we are using are still not quite ready yet.

lumpher- Thank you kindly for that. I couldn't find anything on the web that spoke to the longevity of camden tablets. Much appreciated!

cheezydemon3 09-25-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrabandWinkle (Post 4442869)
Yooper- Thanks again. I will definitely let you know how things progress.

ditchbanker- Thanks mate- We built this massive beast of a press and named it 'Spikehorn' (antlers screwed to the top beam). The amazing part is the scratter we built. It's a shock nobody has been injured yet. It's connected to a 3 horsepower motor and demolishes the apples. Looks like an incredibly dangerous piece of machinery.
We have lined everything with HDPE plastic too, Our goal is to press 3 or 4 more times, hopefully yielding in or around 200 litres to make our 3 planned varieties. Up here in Canada, the varieties we are using are still not quite ready yet.

lumpher- Thank you kindly for that. I couldn't find anything on the web that spoke to the longevity of camden tablets. Much appreciated!

OK. Bad Title? FORGIVEN.

No pics of "Spikehorn"?????? You will be excommunicated......please provide pics ASAP.....

CrabandWinkle 09-25-2012 03:36 PM

Haha, sorry cheezydemon. It was an emergency in my eyes!

And I'll upload a photo of old Spikehorn tonight. As long as I can stay in the good graces of a demon.

cheezydemon3 09-25-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrabandWinkle (Post 4442954)
Haha, sorry cheezydemon. It was an emergency in my eyes!

And I'll upload a photo of old Spikehorn tonight. As long as I can stay in the good graces of a demon.

Good Man!:mug:


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.