Elderflower cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesa4234

Reaction score
I am going to experiment with some elderflower in a gallon of cider. I plan on using a 1.5 gallons of Costco juice, 1/4 to 1/2 lb honey, and some dried elderflower from the homebrew shop.

Has anyone brewed something similar before?

Also, how can I sanitize the elderflower? I assume they could possibly be a source of some bugs that would not work so well in my cider.

If you are anxious about the possibility of the elderflowers introducing bacteria or other fungi into the cider why not simply add k-meta (Campden tabs ) to your must. One tab /gallon contains enough free SO2 to inhibit spoilage. You need to wait about 24 hours after adding the K-meta otherwise it will also inhibit the work of the yeast you inoculate the must with.
That said, your "recipe" sounds like a potential winner. I make elderflower wine and find it delicious. You have given me the idea to experiment with this blend of fruit and honey. I wonder whether a good wine yeast such as Cuvee is likely to be better than say a yeast like Nottingham or Safale 05

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a good idea. I have used k-meta before, just not in cider because I usually used pasteurized juice.

I am interested in trying this one out. I am not sure if the elderflower will come through if I add it before fermenting, but I am going to put it in the primary for the first try. I also might make a tea out of the elderflower in a second batch and add that into the secondary.

Latest posts

Back