Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Elderflower cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
jonboy_t
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Elderflower cider

I decided to keep the economy afloat at the weekend by tasting different ciders at my local pub to see what kinds of strange and beautiful flavours work well, and I stumbled upon an Elderflower and Lime one which was really nice. My next brew was going to be 5G of cider so I thought I might have a crack at doing my own version of it and save £4 a bottle!!

Has anyone had any luck making one before? How much elderflower/lime would you add?

I was considering:

4.5G apple juice
1KG Elderflowers (steeped with lime juice in ~2L water for about 30 minutes)
100ml lime juice
500g honey
*some* sugar to backsweeten dependent on taste tests!

As a novice at this game, I'm not sure this would give enough flavour? I like my ciders sweet (almost Kopparberg-esque) and would really like to get the taste and the perfume of the elderflower, but not really get a kick in the throat from the lime. Any thoughts on how I could improve this recipe?

As always, thanks in advance for your expertise!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 369

I......have no idea, lol. I don't think the fruit-bearing species of elder is common here in the states. when i was in germany my host brother drank elderberry juice all the time.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply