Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Edwort's Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
jawats
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Edwort's Apfelwein

So, I dropped in five gallons of apple juice with wine yeast in it in mid Feb. It is still fermenting slowly (based on the ticking sound I hear from the bubbles when I listen to it), but clarifying on schedule as indicated in the original Edwort's post.

I plan to leave it for another month, or thereabouts, and then bottle it (probably 1/2 carbed, 1/2 not). However, I am concerned that at about four weeks, the smell emanating from the top is still somewhat reminiscent of rhino farts.

Anyone else have experience to offer?

--Jonathan

"...the yeast knows what it's doing."
I hate it when the yeast is smarter than me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
borracho_brewer
Recipes 

My first and only batch (about to start a second, though I may cut the sugar addition in half for a more mellow drink) started with the farts after about a week or so I think but they did last for some time. For me it was a steady smell that lasted for some time but wasn't really really bad (some people talk about their neighbors smelling it, but I actually had mine in my bedroom and was able to deal with it fine, it was only noticable for a couple days, unless I stuck my nose in the airlock).

I moved it to my garage to finish up after a month, and let it sit there in the cold for another month and a half or so, didn't bother racking. It had a bit of a stink to it up until a couple weeks before bottling. But it's great now. Unless it's really bad i don't think there's anything to worry about.

Oh, FYI, i used EC-1118 instead of Montrachet, just what was available to me, in case that makes a difference and I used a bit of yeast nutrient (a very small amount, looking back i probably ought to have not bothered or added more).

Cheers,
B_B

Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 AM   #3
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I've got my first batch going right now and it has that fart smell, but only when you put your nose to the airlock. I had trippel that did this for a week and it came out fine.

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 03-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #4
cordogg
Recipes 

Yeast nutrient works wonders.... if used in the recommend amount you will experience no "rhino farts"

Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
jawats
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by borracho_brewer View Post
My first and only batch (about to start a second, though I may cut the sugar addition in half for a more mellow drink) started with the farts after about a week or so I think but they did last for some time. For me it was a steady smell that lasted for some time but wasn't really really bad (some people talk about their neighbors smelling it, but I actually had mine in my bedroom and was able to deal with it fine, it was only noticable for a couple days, unless I stuck my nose in the airlock).

I moved it to my garage to finish up after a month, and let it sit there in the cold for another month and a half or so, didn't bother racking. It had a bit of a stink to it up until a couple weeks before bottling. But it's great now. Unless it's really bad i don't think there's anything to worry about.

Oh, FYI, i used EC-1118 instead of Montrachet, just what was available to me, in case that makes a difference and I used a bit of yeast nutrient (a very small amount, looking back i probably ought to have not bothered or added more).

Cheers,
B_B
B_B,

Thanks! I do only detect it with my nose on top of it, so there ya go.

I have it in about 60 - 70 degree basement now, where it's been going for a little over a month.

-J.

"...the yeast knows what it's doing."
I hate it when the yeast is smarter than me.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
Desrever
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yep That stuff stinks, Just started mine last Saturday.... I hope it taste as good as others say it does.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #7
WarBac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine smelled like rhino farts for a week plus. It had subsided now.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:32 AM   #8
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Fermented mine in a hot condo starting in August and I added yeast nutrients. No rhino farts whatsoever and I have tasty Apfelwein on my second tap. Pretty darned good after 6 weeks even.

Primary: Yooper_Brew's Dead Guy Clone, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale, Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 09-15-2011, 03:37 AM   #9
SteveHoward
Recipes 

For those of you who use yeast nutrient, can you tell me how much you used?

When I'm reading recipes that call for it, for cider and apple wines, I am reading 1 tsp/gallon. I'd like to compare that with what you used, especially if you didn't have rhino farts.

I'm sure the lady of our house will thank you, as will I since no rhino farts would mean much less friction when I planned a second batch .

Old 03-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #10
vegasgecko
Recipes 

Have made three 5 gal batches now, added 1tsp/gal nutrient each time when mixing. Ferminted in the extra bedroom next to the MB, and no smell that I noticed at all. Not that I go out of my way to stick my nose against the airlock every day, tho.

Quick Reply