Edworts apfelwein - 1 gallon recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calicojack

Reaction score
This is my first post. I tried a search, but 11 pages into it, and i'm still not finding what I'm looking for.

As I am fairly new to home brewing (started with some meads about 6 months ago) I find myself only wanting to make gallon "test" batches of various flavors/alcohols. That way If i don't like it, i'm not waisting all of what's left over. The reciepes I do like, I'm stepping up to 5 gallon batches.

So that being said, Can anyone help me out with a 1 gallon recipe for this particular brew?

1 Gallon 100% Apple Juice
? cups of brown sugar
? packets of _____ yeast

Is this brew going to be like mead where you wait for the yeast to stop bubbling (usually after a month) and then rack it over to a aging vessel for another 3-5 months?

Welcome to the forums. Edwort uses Dextrose (corn sugar) for his recipe. I know other's have tried different sugars, but if you want to "test" it, I'd stick to the original on the first.

Anyways. You need .4 pounds, or 6.4 oz (you divide 2# by 5). And I'd use half a packet of montrachet yeast.

If you age it, it's wonderful (I still have a couple of 4 year old bottles), but you can drink it basically after it clears itself. You can carb it or you can leave it still. If you leave it alone it clears up nicely.

I would like to make a 1 gallon batch of this. I'm not sure if me and the Mrs will like it.

Maybe I'll do 2. One with a cinnamon stick, and one without.

How long do you think it would need to be in primary for 1 gallon?

OK, what about bottling it? To add some carbination, would a coopers carb drop in a beer bottle do the trick? I can't decide to bottle in beer bottles, or borrow a wine corker.

carb tab works fine if you have em, otherwise 0.7oz of table/corn sugar will batch prime 1 gallon. I usually bottle it uncarbed in wine bottles and tell people it's apple wine.

I'm about to use soda bottles. They're cheap, sturdier than glass bottles, you get no shrapnel if they explode, disposable, and you don't need a capper.
And, to boot, you can check your carbonation just by squeezing them.:rockin:

carb tab works fine if you have em, otherwise 0.7oz of table/corn sugar will batch prime 1 gallon. I usually bottle it uncarbed in wine bottles and tell people it's apple wine.

Is it really good un carbed too? I'm not sure which way to go.

Picked up ingrediants today. Going to do 2 one gallon batches. One following the recipe exactly, the other adding a couple of cloves and a Cinnamon stick.

Not sure how I'll decide to bottle it yet, but I've got a month or so to decide.

I'm about to use soda bottles. They're cheap, sturdier than glass bottles, you get no shrapnel if they explode, disposable, and you don't need a capper.
And, to boot, you can check your carbonation just by squeezing them.:rockin:

I use 20 oz, 1 liters and 2 liter soda bottles for beer all the time, but with how long people say to age apfelwein I would try to stick with glass. I am a fan of plastic, and think its fine for normal beers, but I don't think I would trust the seal for a year.

we all love it uncarbed over ice, maybe just because we don't have to wait an extra 3 weeks for it to be ready. then again, I'll drink it straight outta the primary..

I just assembled two 1 gallon batches of this. I added a cinnamon stick and a clove to one, did the other plain.

Used Lalvin EC-1118 yeast to try to avoid the smell that everyone complained about.

Hopefully it's awesome, and I'll make a bigger batch. Still trying to decide how to package it. Might package a few 22oz beer bottles with a Coopers Carb drop to give it a little sparkle. Might just bottle it all in wine bottles with corks and serve it still.

I use 20 oz, 1 liters and 2 liter soda bottles for beer all the time, but with how long people say to age apfelwein I would try to stick with glass. I am a fan of plastic, and think its fine for normal beers, but I don't think I would trust the seal for a year.

Hmmm...I haven't been at this for that long, so I can't say. But I did drink 3 year old coke in the past, and it was perfect. That's what ultimately made me decide to go plastic...
But we'll see. In about a month I'll be bottling my batch of EdWort's apfelwein, all in 20 oz. coke bottles. Time will tell...

My first 5g batch of edworts was 5gallons of apple juice (cheapo brand walmart) with about 3.5lbs of dextrose and had about 5 cinnamon sticks (soaked in vodka) put in 48 hours after pitching a pack of montrachet. Let it sit in primary for a few months, gave some bottles to some friends and it was a big hit over the winter holidays. The grog recipe on EdWorts recipe post was excellent too (simmer some spiced rum and turbinado). After typing this out I think I'm going to make more!

my one gallon batch is coming up on the 1 month mark. i made mine on the 17th of last month. I plan to drink 1 750ml bottle and carb the other two and put them back till x-mas.

I made some apfelwein following the recipe and it was great. I also made a batch using dark brown sugar, molasses, and 3 cinnamon sticks. A month into aging the cinnamon was not detectable, but after 6 months it was awesome. It didn't last more than 6 months so I'm staring a 5 gallon batch so I will have more to test as it ages.

so after leaving my batch in it's primary for over 1 month, i took a reading today. it had dropped to 1.00, so i decided to go ahead and bottle it for aging. after 3 bottles and 1 mason jar i had about a glass left over, so i decided to go ahead and try it.

it was very yeasty. like VERY yeasty. will this drop out with aging?

So, has anyone used a mini auto-siphon in the 1 gallon jugs? Hopefully it will fit, or I will have a major problem in a couple of weeks when I try to bottle.

I've just made this, which uses basically the same recipe with burnt honey in place of corn sugar.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/toffee-apple-cider-252096/

OG is 1.060, so you'll get about that if you use about 500g corn sugar - probably slightly more as honey is thicker and harder to disperse through the entire brew. This'll give you a whopping 7.8% at 1.000 FG, so maybe use less. :D

So, has anyone used a mini auto-siphon in the 1 gallon jugs? Hopefully it will fit, or I will have a major problem in a couple of weeks when I try to bottle.

i got a bottle filler attachment for my standard size auto siphon (which DOES fit 1 gallon jugs with room to spare). it attaches to the tubing and is spring actuated, much like a thief. you press it to the bottom of the bottle your filling. when you get into the neck, you pull it up and finish topping it off by pressing it into the side of the neck.

eta: i started a second batch. I used motts apple juice like the other one, but instead of brown sugar I used cane sugar and added a clove for a little spice.

I'm not worried about the filler end, I'm worried about the siphon fitting into the opening of the 1 gallon jug.

I just siphon it like I would gas, just stick a piece of rubber tubing in there and suck on the end and put it in the empty carboy. I know the Gods of clean have a problem with this but I haven't had an infection yet.

This is my first post. I tried a search, but 11 pages into it, and i'm still not finding what I'm looking for.

As I am fairly new to home brewing (started with some meads about 6 months ago) I find myself only wanting to make gallon "test" batches of various flavors/alcohols. That way If i don't like it, i'm not waisting all of what's left over. The reciepes I do like, I'm stepping up to 5 gallon batches.

So that being said, Can anyone help me out with a 1 gallon recipe for this particular brew?

? cups of brown sugar
? packets of _____ yeast

Is this brew going to be like mead where you wait for the yeast to stop bubbling (usually after a month) and then rack it over to a aging vessel for another 3-5 months?

I dont know if you were looking for a clone of something, but this is what i would do, you may use a tad less than 1 gallon of Apple juice to make up for the added volume from the honey(maybe even as low as 1/2 gallon depending). 3 lbs Honey will put you at an SG of 1.104 with an estimated ABV of 10.19% Plus the sugars from the apple juice itself. So i would bet in the ballpark of 11-12% ABV when its done. The Yeast nutrient,Yeast energizer,and Acid Blend will help the yeast greatly in a "nutrient deficient brew" such as most Honey based brews.

4 lbs Honey
2 packages wine yeast of choice
1/4 teaspoon Acid Blend
1/4 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1/4 teaspoon yeast energizer

3 lbs Honey will put you at an SG of 1.104 with an estimated ABV of 10.19% Plus the sugars from the apple juice itself.

wasn't really looking to go the mead route on this one.

I'm not worried about the filler end, I'm worried about the siphon fitting into the opening of the 1 gallon jug.

don't worry about it. the auto siphon will fit in any standard 1 gallon jug. i've got some that i've bought from various brew shops as well as what you buy from the grocery store that were filled with wine.

Wow! I can't believe I only made a 1 gal batch of this stuff. I decided to try my first bottle of this stuff after carbing it up in bottles for three weeks. It was awesome! I used to waiting over a year on my meads and wines but this was great in a few months.

@sweetsdream how long did you ferment yours for before bottling? I bottled my first batch this past week, and started a second batch. this time around i did with with cane sugar and a clove.

I left it in the primary for about a month then racked it to become crystal clear for another three weeks. I primed and bottled and let it carb for three weeks in some 500ml swing tops. It tastes great and I'm going to start another batch this weekend.

I bottled two 1-gallon batches yesterday. One was plain, the other had some cloves and cinnamon sticks. Upon first taste, they are pretty good. The plain one did have a bit of an off flavor, but can't make out what it is.

I just racked my second 1 gallon batch to a secondary to clear. The one i did with cane sugar, clove and e-1118. I did not like it as much as the first one i did with brown sugar and monchreat

Welcome to the forums. Edwort uses Dextrose (corn sugar) for his recipe. I know other's have tried different sugars, but if you want to "test" it, I'd stick to the original on the first. What if you add more sugar say up to one pound?

Anyways. You need .4 pounds, or 6.4 oz (you divide 2# by 5). And I'd use half a packet of montrachet yeast.

If you age it, it's wonderful (I still have a couple of 4 year old bottles), but you can drink it basically after it clears itself. You can carb it or you can leave it still. If you leave it alone it clears up nicely.

Back