Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Ed Wort's Apfelwine Questions and Comments

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Scrow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ed Wort's Apfelwine Questions and Comments

Well, I just opened my carboy to check on this Apfelwine (only been three weeks, but I can't wait!) and all I can say is WOW! I can't stand wine, normally, but this stuff is so amazingly tasty I am awestruck. I personally prefer it at room temperature (tastes more like apple and less like wine). I have some questions regarding this batch however:

1. Does light "skunk" wine the way it does beer? Do I need to keep it dark?
2. What is the best way to make it last without spoiling? Will it spoil rapidly after I opened the carboy?
3. What is the risk of "infection" ruining the flavor after fermentation is complete?
4. How does my decision to use plain table sugar instead of corn sugar affect the outcome? I don't know what it comes out like for those of you that made it the right way.

Thanks a ton guys! This stuff is amazing and very strong. Got a nice buzz on just a glass and a half. Will be drinking and brewing much much more in the future!!

Primary - Kolsch - Started 04/30/09
Primary - Brown Ale - Started 04/30/09

Bottle Conditioning - India Pale Ale - Started 04/01/09
Bottle Conditioning - Dead Guy Ale clone - Started 04/08/09

Drinking - German Altbier - Started 03/11/09
Drinking - Wheat Beer - Started 03/25/09

Carboy - EdWort's Apfelwine Round 3

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 27 Posts

1) No. Light skunks hops, not alcohol. There are no hops in apfelwein, so there is no skunking.

2) It seems to have a decent shelf life. I've stored it at room temperature in a decanter for about a month with no problems. I've also just filled a pitcher with it, and left that in the fridge for a few weeks without problem.

3) That depends totally on your situation. If you're fermenting in an open container in the middle of a landfill, it's probably pretty high. If you're using decent sanitation methods in a clean house, it's pretty low. After fermentation, there's enough alcohol in that stuff to fight off a little bacteria, so it's not a huge worry.

4) I've heard a few people say that they've used table sugar and it came out fine. I use corn sugar exclusively, but that's just personal preference.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Scrow
Recipes 

Well how does the different sugar change the characteristics? Does yours taste as strongly as apple, or does it taste more like a light wine? Does one create more alcohol than the other?

In any case, EXCELLENT stuff! I have converted a couple of friends already, and got them into homebrewing so they can make their own!

Edit: Also, is sanitizing everything necessary at this point? I only have Iodophor for sanitizer, and it doesn't keep for long, and I don't want to mix up a bottle of it every time I need to siphon some out of the carboy. If I thoroughly wash everything, is that ok, or should I be safe and sanitize?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
nakros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Well how does the different sugar change the characteristics?
Table sugar is supposed to inpart a more cidery type of flavour. Perhaps this isn't such a bad thing in apfelwein?

Quote:
should I be safe and sanitize?
If you're worried about it, always be safe and sanitize.

That being said (and the llama will probably curse at me again), I only sanitize my instruments for everything before fermentation. After fermentation is complete, I assume the alcohol will do all my sanitizing for me and just rinse in really hot water.

Disclaimer: don't listen to me. But I haven't had a problem with the mantra that already-fermented products will not pick up an infection.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Scrow
Recipes 

Ok, sounds good. The only concern I have is that I don't have enough bottles to bottle all of this stuff at once, so I make a few bottles, and when they are gone, I refill them. So I am having to open and siphon frequently.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakros View Post
Disclaimer: don't listen to me. But I haven't had a problem with the mantra that already-fermented products will not pick up an infection.
I drink enough alcohol to qualify as an already-fermented product, and I get infections from time to time.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't have a problem with people taking shortcuts and skipping out on sanitation. I just don't think it's a good idea to spread that kind of thing around to the new brewers. I'm sure there are people out there who do heroin for years, decades even, without overdosing. Then again, there are people who will OD their first time out. Safest to just skip the heroin altogether.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Macushla-Homebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have an apfelwine in the carboy as we speak as well - I think I'm at two weeks. Curious though - when you bottel are you carbonating as well. I didn't hear you mention it and if you are carbn it - how long is it taking for a bottel to carb?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
llazy_llama
Recipes 

I usually sweeten and carb about half of each batch. Two weeks is generally long enough with Apfelwein, since the added sweetness and cider taste isn't undesirable as it is with beer.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
nakros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In that case, personally, I'd sanitize the equipment (racking cane, etc...), but not the bottles (I'd just rinse them in ridiculously hot water). The bottles, I'd rinse out as soon as they're empty, and then re-rinse as soon as you're ready to fill them. My theory is that if you're drinking them that quick, then the sanitation in the bottles isn't quite as important as the sanitation of what you're sticking in the fermented product (since it'll sit there for another period of time before you touch it again).

But thats me, and once again, I will probably get cursed at for suggesting it. I have only made 14 batches of beer and 6 batches of wine (including an apfelwein). Nothing has become infected -- yet.

At the end of the day, more sanitation is always better than less. If you don't mind spending the time sanitizing everything, then do it. If the time is more important, then don't. If you get an infection then you know what the cause is and correct it in future batches.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
llazy_llama
Recipes 

nakros, I'm not cursing at you (I don't think). If it works for you, then great. I just want you to stop telling the newbies not to sanitize their stuff.

Quick Reply