Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Ed wort's apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
reeny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Ed wort's apfelwein

I started my apeflwein on 7/15 there is very little activity at this point do I need to clarify the cider if I carbonate it exactly what is the process. When do I bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

As i understand it you should wait for it to go clear on its own, at that point its ready to drink.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I never even think about bottling my apfelwein before 6 months, and don't even touch them till they've been around a year. Most folks I know won't even taste any apfelwein younger than that. Then they can't keep their hands off it after. It's pretty much rocket fuel when it's young, but is deceptively smooth when It's aged. I'm working through a batch that's around two years old and it's silky smooth, but still potent. Kinda like a claw hammer in a velvet glove....

A lot of folks new to this, drink it way too young, and don't even know what they're missing. It's like any high gravity brew, it needs time to mellow.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
most
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Hallo,
Why carbonate?
Apfelwein in Germany is never carbonated. That is the British contribution to Cider.

I Lived in Germany for 30 Years.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by most View Post
Hallo,
Why carbonate?
Apfelwein in Germany is never carbonated. That is the British contribution to Cider.

I Lived in Germany for 30 Years.
I think most people do it because it tastes better.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
I think most people do it because it tastes better.
Yes. My friends like it higly carbed, and call it Apple Champagne. I usually give bottles as gifts at Christmastime.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
reeny
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

Yes. My friends like it higly carbed, and call it Apple Champagne. I usually give bottles as gifts at Christmastime.
When do you usually bottle and when you carbonate it is done by back sweetening with dextrose?

Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

I usually bottle after it's been sitting for about 6 months as mentioned in my earlier post. And I bottle with about 5.5-6 ounces of priming sugar, and bottle in old champagne bottles.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeny View Post
When do you usually bottle and when you carbonate it is done by back sweetening with dextrose?
Not back sweetening, i assume most people just use corn sugar/dextrose like you would for carbonating any bottles of beer/etc.

You wouldnt want to try to back sweeten with more fermentable sugar, or else your just going to get bottle bombs and its going to dry out even more.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
DSmith
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I never even think about bottling my apfelwein before 6 months, and don't even touch them till they've been around a year. Most folks I know won't even taste any apfelwein younger than that. Then they can't keep their hands off it after. It's pretty much rocket fuel when it's young, but is deceptively smooth when It's aged. I'm working through a batch that's around two years old and it's silky smooth, but still potent. Kinda like a claw hammer in a velvet glove....

A lot of folks new to this, drink it way too young, and don't even know what they're missing. It's like any high gravity brew, it needs time to mellow.
Do you leave it on the yeast in primary the entire 6 months? I've got one going for a month that I'm going to let go 6 months and also bottle in champagne bottles. Do you add yeast for bottle carbonating?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS