Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #891
jessiczar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 6
Likes Given: 1

Default

Love this technique, it's worked for me for at least five batches so far... knock on wood! Question though: will this work with swing-top bottles? I'm cautious to put one of my swing-tops in. If you guys think it might pop, I'll just cold crash it.

__________________
jessiczar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #892
kstone803
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 91
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiczar View Post
Love this technique, it's worked for me for at least five batches so far... knock on wood! Question though: will this work with swing-top bottles? I'm cautious to put one of my swing-tops in. If you guys think it might pop, I'll just cold crash it.
I have used it with swing top bottles 3 times so far and the only problem I had was not leaving enough headspace and getting some leakage. But that was only 1 bottle. So far I have blown up at least one regular beer bottle every time though. I attribute this to 2 things. The cheap bottles I have (very thin) and the fact that I'm doing this on an outdoor crab cooker and the temp at the bottom of the pot (100 quarts) may be closer to 200-205 instead of 190.
__________________
kstone803 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #893
CiderRules
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 64
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I haven't tried my swingtops yet, but I haven't broke a bottle by using a lower temp (180 instead of 190). I also put a dish towel on the bottom of my pot to keep the glass bottles from touching it.

__________________
CiderRules is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #894
BigDaddyBeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 311
Liked 73 Times on 53 Posts

Default

Ok so I just did this exactly as the OP said to and blew up 6 bottles of cider. Glass all over the kitchen! Will my cider be ok if I just stuff it in the fridge or will they eventually blow up too?

__________________
BigDaddyBeard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #895
n8tivebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyBeard
Ok so I just did this exactly as the OP said to and blew up 6 bottles of cider. Glass all over the kitchen! Will my cider be ok if I just stuff it in the fridge or will they eventually blow up too?
That's sad to hear. What kind of bottles are you using? Also how carbed are they? If you keep them in the fridge they should be ok.
__________________
n8tivebrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #896
BigDaddyBeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 311
Liked 73 Times on 53 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tivebrew
That's sad to hear. What kind of bottles are you using? Also how carbed are they? If you keep them in the fridge they should be ok.
I used standard 12 ounce bottles and they were carbed just right, or at least I thought so. To ire on the safe side I took the remaining bottles and popped the tops on all of them and let them sit for a little while then recapped and stuck em in the fridge
__________________
BigDaddyBeard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #897
dhammers91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 142
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyBeard
I used standard 12 ounce bottles and they were carbed just right, or at least I thought so. To ire on the safe side I took the remaining bottles and popped the tops on all of them and let them sit for a little while then recapped and stuck em in the fridge

Just curious... Where r u located?
__________________
dhammers91 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #898
BigDaddyBeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 311
Liked 73 Times on 53 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammers91
Just curious... Where r u located?
The wonderful over taxed state of Maryland
__________________
BigDaddyBeard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #899
dhammers91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 142
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyBeard
The wonderful over taxed state of Maryland
Hahaha got ya. I was just wondering if altitude was aging a factor for u bc I did exactly what the OP said for six cases worth, and I never lost a bottle...
__________________
dhammers91 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #900
BigDaddyBeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 311
Liked 73 Times on 53 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammers91
Hahaha got ya. I was just wondering if altitude was aging a factor for u bc I did exactly what the OP said for six cases worth, and I never lost a bottle...
Yea talk about a mess! The entire kitchen was covered in glass. They were like hand grenades going off, but o well.

Note to self 'stick to still cider'
__________________
BigDaddyBeard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help out a first attempt at Cider, couple of easy questions Drscott266 Cider Forum 10 12-08-2012 01:01 AM
Easy cider. Tips for making it better? artyboy Cider Forum 9 09-04-2012 05:53 PM
easy 1 gallon recipe? sconnie Cider Forum 18 04-03-2011 01:12 AM
Who knew how easy... paperairplane Cider Forum 8 11-09-2009 02:48 AM
Cheap and easy cider Confucius Cider Forum 5 05-25-2009 06:54 PM



Newest Threads