Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #81
Lunarpancake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

so i am pasteurizing now......out of 5 bottles i have 2 with leaking caps and 1 bomb after process was finished. OOPS.

Im doing another 5 now and if they turn out crappy too ill just cold-crash the rest

*edit* I dont want to jinx it...but my second set of 5 bottles have not exploded yet or had any "pissers" (hissing from caps)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #82
pimento
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

A couple of points for people who are having cap leaks while pasteurizing.

I notice that Pappers is fermenting plain juice, without additional sugar, this means that after stopping fermentation at 1.008 - 1.010 the ABV is probably around 6%.
A 6% alcohol/water solution boils at around 203 F, but a 10% solution boils at 199 F. As the % of alcohol increases, the boil temp drops.

If you're doing ciders with a higher ABV than 6% you may want to lower your temp by a few degrees and make sure your thermometer is accurate.

Also, as is mentioned in the original post, make sure you turn the heat off before putting your bottles in the water. It's probably a good idea remove the pan from the burner entirely and to put something in the bottom of the pan to keep the bottles from touching the metal as well, since it can be hotter than the water itself.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #83
CorgiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Very stoked by the info in the OP. I made cider 2 years ago, and let it ferment dry then primed and bottled it. After two years in the bottle, it's definitely a drinkable beverage, but not exactly what I had in mind. With this thread as inspiration, I started a 5 gal. test batch over the weekend. If it works out, I should have time for another while the cider season lasts. Cool!

Old 10-13-2010, 12:18 AM   #84
mattib
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If the SG is at 1.010 and the cider has not cleared and is cloudy do you still bottle? or what do people do ? do they add some chemicals so it will clear up ?

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #85
bigcountrybrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattib View Post
If the SG is at 1.010 and the cider has not cleared and is cloudy do you still bottle? or what do people do ? do they add some chemicals so it will clear up ?

Thanks.
mattib,
I bottled mine cloudy and it cleared within the six days it took to carbonate the bottles. Did you use Pectin Enzyme in your cider? I did and even boiled 1/2 gallon of juice with some cinnamon sticks and mine still cleared ok. Also, did you use store bought apple juice or fresh Cider. I used apple juice from SAM's Club. I would imagine that fresh pressed cider would take longer to clear than store bought juice. My guess is that even if it is fresh cider, it will clear in the bottle eventually, unless the pectin gets set from heating it too much.

I just want to say thanks to Pappers! This worked for me so far. For what it is worth, my OF was 1.045, FG was 1.010. It took two weeks to ferment, carbed up for six days. I had one leaky cap, but not from the heat, it was just not capped on tight. The pasteurizing as laid out by Pappers was pretty easy and straight forward. I did use a silicone pot holder at the bottom of the pot to insulate the bottles from the bottom of the pan. Both my wife and I were pleased with the results.

Thanks again Pappers!

Old 10-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #86
mattib
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

aaahh oki thanks, i did not use Pectin Enzyme , just store bought apple juice with some added sugar.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #87
CaptainCool
Recipes 

i don't mean to be a bother.. but i was wondering if the earlier question of wether this works with champagne and sparkling wine bottles could be answered? it would be very helpful. thanks

Old 10-20-2010, 03:24 AM   #88
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I havent tried, but I'm certain this would work with champagne bottles - how much extra time it takes is the question. There is a little more thermal mass in the glass and cider inside the bottle, an extra 5 min should be plenty, maybe go an extra 10 to be safe. You also want to make sure the caps are extra secure, observe all handling precautions,etc.

It seems that using pectic enzyme is a key step so that the cider is fairly clear when you bottle before the end of the secondary fermentation. With a ferment going real cool and slow at 1.010 or, I would still expect to see some amount of suspended solids.

Jim - Do you see much sediment after the pasteurization or storage? If this is ever an issue, it occurs to me that you could try either S23 or Wy4184 yeast and cold crash before bottling.

These yeasts both taste great in the 1.004 to 1.012 range and (in my experience) they are impossible to stop with cold crashing even though crashing will get them nice and clear. This makes them difficult to use for kegging but it seem like they would be useful for bottle conditioning because you can get an extra clearing and still have enough yeast to bottle condition.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #89
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Kevin, yes, there is always sediment in the bottles.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 10-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #90
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Pasteurized another batch two days ago, worked great and the resulting cider was light, crisp and bubbly. Between swmbo and friends, we go through it very quickly.

In other threads and pm's, I've chatted with some folks who have run into a problem that I want to highlight - letting the bottles carbonate too much in the bottle before pasteurizing. Especially if this is your first time making cider and you're not sure what to expect, err on the side of checking carbonation levels early and often. And if the carbonation level is too high, do not pasteurize. You run a risk blowing off caps or worse, exploding bottles.

Once you know your process (for the juice you use, the yeast you like, your fermentation temps, etc) you can be a little more relaxed. But again, do not pasteurize over-carbonated bottles.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Quick Reply