Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #861
amoret
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thanks Pappers et al

Pasteurized our first 5 gallon batch last week per directions with no mishaps and good results. I did preheat the bottles in hot tap water and use a towel in the bottom of the pan and actual canning tongs to limit contact of the bottles with different temperature metals. No problems despite accidentally overheating the water for the last batch and being too tired/impatient to wait for the temp to drop below 190 f (I know, I could have added cool water - see "tired" above) I'd been doing 170-175 before that. Included an open bottle of water in one of the middle batches and the temp at the end was 155 f.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #862
kukubau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Yup, I use the same juice for backsweeting. I only rack once, to a bottling bucket, mixing it with the backsweetening juice and then bottling. I only lose the bottom inch or two in the carboy, where the yeast has settled out.
So you don't keep the hard cider in the secondary at all?

Do you use any formulas or add fixed quantity per gallon/liter when adding the backsweetening juice or you do it arbitrary (taste)?

edit:

I have just one more day to keep my cider in the primary.

I had today a zip and a gravity reading (1018). Do you think it'll drop under 1010 if I let it until tomorrow?

How would you describe the taste of your cider after 6 days? Mine has almost none residual sweetness left, although the S.G. is 1018 and a bit fizzy.

Ty

Old 09-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #863
jaydog2314
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 155

is general consensus to heat to 170-175 and not 190 like in the original post? i've tried to read as much of this thread as I can but I've noticed in the last week a few ppl mention 190 is too hot...I just bottled my first batch of cider last night so I'm hoping to clarify before I pasteurize. Thanks

Secondary:
Up Next: TBD
untappd: hopheavy2314
Canal Brewing Co:
Facebook Twitter Untappd

Old 09-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #864
branman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Jaydog, I did mine at 180ºF. Put a cloth in the botom of the pot, bring it up to temp, turn off the heat, put bottles in, and put on a lid (just incase) for 10mins. I did that with no casualties.. hope that helps

Old 09-20-2013, 01:09 AM   #865
jaydog2314
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by branman View Post
Jaydog, I did mine at 180ºF. Put a cloth in the botom of the pot, bring it up to temp, turn off the heat, put bottles in, and put on a lid (just incase) for 10mins. I did that with no casualties.. hope that helps
Great thanks!
Secondary:
Up Next: TBD
untappd: hopheavy2314
Canal Brewing Co:
Facebook Twitter Untappd

Old 09-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #866
ArthurDigbySellers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did mine at 160 for 10 minutes and didn't have issues while pasteurizing nor did I have any bottle bombs or gushers after the fact. We are pasteurizing our cider simply to kill the yeast, not make the product safe for consumption. From what I have read most yeast are completely killed at 140 so holding a bottle at 160 for 10 minutes seems like more than enough time to kill them off.

I think you just go with whatever you are comfortable with. Since it was my first time and I had never done the process before, I decided to err on the side of lower temps. I keep my bottles in a cardboard case box which sits inside a rubbermaid container so any potential bombs would have been contained. I have about half a case left and they have been in there for over a month with no problems.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #867
RebelliousVanilla
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I am curious if I can perform stove top pasteurizing with the EZ cap beer bottles? Or do I just need to get bottles that I have to cap manually?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #868
oljimmy
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Question: I want to run pasteurization tests before I do the "real thing", using capped bottles full of water to see how long it takes a sink full of 180F water to heat the cider to 155-160F. My question is this: for the purposes of this testing, will water behave like fully fermented cider? That is, will water absorb and retain heat at the same rate that cider will?

"The cider drinker marches on."

- The Surfin' Turnips

Old 09-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #869
mutate
Recipes 

Default question on the process

Ok so I've got 10 gallons of Hard cider fermenting. This would be week 3 of the process. I would like to do this method of bottling. I plan to add juice to each 5 gallon bucket to both backsweeten and prime the bottles. Currently thinking 2 qts cherry, 2 qts apple per bucket. I have a few swing top grolsch style bottles, but not enough for this much cider. I also have a LOT of swing top 1-liter wine bottles, at least i think they are wine as i bought them on craigslist years ago and the labels have foreign writing and pictures of grapes. What would be the best method of bottling and pastuerizing these? would the water temp and lenth of time be the same?

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #870
justineaton
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply