The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #821
Jacinthebox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 41

One bottle down lol...must have been a weak stella bottle...
It was in a cooler with the lid closed...so I heard it, didn't feel it

Tap #1: Watermelon Wheat Tap #2: Dos AmigoTap #3: Tap #4:
In the Bucket: (1) Modified Dos Amigo, (2)Simcoe Pale Ale
In the Carboy: (2)White Night (Blue Moon Clone), (1) Dos Amigo
Kegged and Parked: 2 kegs of Dos Amigo, Cali Steam, Grolsch Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #822
UncaMarc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did your process on a case of cider this weekend and the flavor profile was enhanced if not exactly the same as before pasteurization. Great thread Pappers, thanks.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #823
gingerman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Has anyone tried this with the EZ Top (Grolsh style) bottles? Those tolerate pressure changes much better than capped tops in my experience. Most are 1/2 liter and not 12 oz though, so I imagine it would take a bit longer.

Also, in case it hasn't already been pointed out, you can use a single PET bottle (say, a used Dr. Pepper bottle) as a test bottle to get a feel for carbonation in the glass. I never bottle even to the EZ Top bottles without at least one plastic bottle to serve as a pressure indicator.

Great post, btw Pappers. I may try this method on some of my latest batch this weekend.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #824
Thanks_Yeasties
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

3 days and 83 pages later I made it through this thread! I feel obligated to post now. Started a batch yesterday according to your recipe pappers (used S-04 though) and Im ready to give this thing a shot!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #825
Thaumatourge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did this with 1 grolsh bottle and did not have an issue. But it was also the first bottle I drank. So I don't know about longevity.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #826
millsbrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerman
Has anyone tried this with the EZ Top (Grolsh style) bottles? Those tolerate pressure changes much better than capped tops in my experience. Most are 1/2 liter and not 12 oz though, so I imagine it would take a bit longer.

Also, in case it hasn't already been pointed out, you can use a single PET bottle (say, a used Dr. Pepper bottle) as a test bottle to get a feel for carbonation in the glass. I never bottle even to the EZ Top bottles without at least one plastic bottle to serve as a pressure indicator.

Great post, btw Pappers. I may try this method on some of my latest batch this weekend.
I just did 18 pint sized Grolsh bottles (3 sets of 6) because they wouldn't fit in my fridge. I didn't have any issues. That being said, I have yet to drink any of them since it has only been 2 days and I have 18 more in the fridge. Hope they last long enough for fridge space to open up. I'll report back this weekend once they get opened.

On Tap: Belgian Dubbel, Cinco De Spice-o, and Dry Cider
Primary: West Coast IPA

Old 07-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #827
gingerman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsbrew View Post
I just did 18 pint sized Grolsh bottles (3 sets of 6) because they wouldn't fit in my fridge. I didn't have any issues. That being said, I have yet to drink any of them since it has only been 2 days and I have 18 more in the fridge. Hope they last long enough for fridge space to open up. I'll report back this weekend once they get opened.
Thanks for the reply. Great to hear. Yeah I figured the EZ Tops would burp before bursting, but wasn't sure if the rubber seal would hold as well at that temp. Glad to hear you've had success in at least getting through without explosions. Let us know how they turn out!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:17 AM   #828
mfinken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you Pappers, I will be using this method again. I've been waiting to reply to this for a while since I started my cranberry cider and now its finally done! Pasteurizing worked liked a charm. I left a few bottles in the water a little longer than I should have, and had 2 'fizzers'. Aside from that all the bottles have pasteurized successfully. I cold crashed a few bottles to compare with the pasteurized bottles, and neither my friends or I can tell a difference in taste after a week of aging (didn't try any in the week after pasteurizing).

I was really surprised the thickness of the head on the cider. I'm disappointed with the cranberry flavor and color that the cider had. Next time I will at least double, perhaps triple the cranberry. Ever since the Neil House Brewery went out of business I haven't seen any Cranberry Ciders available in Columbus, OH.

Here's the recipe from my notes in case anyone's interested:

Cranberry Hard Cider
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.002 (before backsweetening)
FG: ~1.022-1.030 (after backsweetening)
Brewed: 5/29/13
Bottled: 7/4/13
Pasteurized: 7/9/13

Ingredients:
• 4 gallons unfiltered Kirkland apple juice (not from concentrate)
• 1 gallon Mott’s apple juice (from concentrate + extra vitamin C)
• 1 can Old Orchard cranberry blend concentrate
• 64 oz. Just Cranberry unsweetened pure cranberry juice
• Brown sugar (gravity booster)
• 3 tsp. pectic enzyme
• 2 tsp yeast nutrient
• 4 cans apple juice concentrate*** (for backsweetening)
• Brown sugar simple syrup*** (for backsweetening)

***added just before bottling

Notes:
Added all ingredients into primary fermenter 5/29/13. Allowed fermentation to begin at ~75 degrees F until airlock rattled many times a second, then moved fermenter to basement ~60 degrees F. Racked to secondary fermenter after a week or so. Backsweetened with 4 cans apple juice concentrate and a simple sugar syrup (easier to dissolve) and bottled on 7/4/13. Opened a bottle a day until carbonation was at a good level, then pasteurized using Papper’s method on 7/9/13 (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/). Appear to have successfully pasteurized all the bottles, with 2 ‘fizzers’. I actually cold crashed a few bottles instead of pasteurizing and compared the two – no differences.

Hope this info helps someone as much as Pappers helped me!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #829
bcboyz86
Recipes 

With cold crashing it, would a ice chest full of ice water work for the cold crash? Just leave it in there for a while I'm guessing 20-30min or so. But won't this just slow the yeast down, not kill it like heating it would? I would rather cold crash cuz we just got a new fridge for the garage and I have the space, but I would rather have bottles I can take outa the fridge and not worry about more.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #830
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboyz86 View Post
With cold crashing it, would a ice chest full of ice water work for the cold crash? Just leave it in there for a while I'm guessing 20-30min or so. But won't this just slow the yeast down, not kill it like heating it would? I would rather cold crash cuz we just got a new fridge for the garage and I have the space, but I would rather have bottles I can take outa the fridge and not worry about more.
Cold crashing just puts the yeasties to sleep while they are at those cold temps. Pasteurizing is what kills them for good.

Quick Reply