Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #811
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG99 View Post
I have a question that I hope was not already answered (couldn't get through all +800 posts). Why do you have to do a water bath to do the pausterization? Couldn't you use dry heat, i.e., just put the bottles into the oven at 160-190 degrees?
I have heard of people doing this with success. The thing you need to make sure of though is that the temp of your cider in the bottles reaches 140+ for the required minimum time for pasteurization to truly occur. By doing this with liquid instead of the oven your cider will hit that pasteurization temp much quicker. Transfer of heat works a lot quicker with liquid than air. Hope that answers your question.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #812
Jacinthebox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Any thoughts on placing bottles in a cooler, then adding 190 degree water, close lid, remove from cooler after 10 min?

Tap #1: Dos Amigo Tap #2: Le Dorado Saison Tap #3 :Belgium Cherry Vanilla Wheat Saison Tap #4: Grolsch Clone

In the Bucket: Zythos Pale Ale (10gal), and Irish Red Ale In the Carboy: Dos Amigo (x2), Cream Ale (Raspberry Vanilla Cream Ale) Kegged and Parked:Blackberry Cream Ale, Dos Amigo
On Deck: Oktoberfest Lagers???? Helles or/and Kolsch

Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #813
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 52

That should work fine assuming your cooler doesn't melt. I have done this with about 200 bottles now and actually had one explode after being out of the bath and on a wooden cutting board on the counter for around 3 minutes. The glass looked extremely thin, I think I am going to start weighing bottles before filling with things that need to be pasteurized, anything far below average will not get used. The bottle was in too small of pieces to even figure out what shape/brand it was (e.g. new belgium vs. bell's or something similar) .

Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #814
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie61
When I was quite-a-bit younger, my mother used a large stovetop pressure cooker and I used to be pretty leary of that thing (esp. now in light of what happened in Boston, yet).

She would heat up the cooker with her canned glass jars of pickles, applesauce, whatever inside, but the difference was that there was a rack of some kind on the inside of the cooker, so the jars didn't come into contact with the bottom of the cooker.

Badger -- glad you didn't get any glass in your eye! I've never yet had a bottle break (knock on wood), but I grab my safety glasses anyway!

Scott
Badgers Stovetop pasteurization best friends:
• My leather motorcycle jacket
• My paintball mask

After I had that thing go off and send a glass shard of shrapnel into my stomach I decided that I will get the pot up to 180 and then take it outside to the back of my truck and drop the bottles in it outside.

The girlfriend doesn't even like to get near my homebrewed bottles now because she was home when one of them went off... Lol
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #815
Jacinthebox
Recipes 

All bottled up...now to carb up, then a hot water bath

Tap #1: Dos Amigo Tap #2: Le Dorado Saison Tap #3 :Belgium Cherry Vanilla Wheat Saison Tap #4: Grolsch Clone

In the Bucket: Zythos Pale Ale (10gal), and Irish Red Ale In the Carboy: Dos Amigo (x2), Cream Ale (Raspberry Vanilla Cream Ale) Kegged and Parked:Blackberry Cream Ale, Dos Amigo

Old 07-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #816
UncaMarc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use beer bottles from the local wine and beer supplier. I let an unpasteurized bottle sit too long and when I put it in the fridge it hit something and exploded. Had the door not blocked the shrapnel, I think I would have been seriously injured. A large piece of the bottle with the cap attached traveled 16 feet and dented the wooden wall.

I wonder if just putting them in the fridge will cool off the fermentation and make them safe. I'm still a bit leery of this process.

Thoughts?

Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #817
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 924 Times on 660 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaMarc View Post
I wonder if just putting them in the fridge will cool off the fermentation and make them safe.
If the bottles are already overcarbbed, no, putting them in the fridge won't help, they are still dangerous. If they are not overcarbbed, then putting them in the fridge should stop the yeast (if you used ale yeast).

Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #818
UncaMarc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Pappers. They are properly carved and in the hot water now. I use Nottingham for my recipe. Thanks for all the feat advice. CHEERS!

Old 07-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #819
UncaMarc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Stupid auto correct. Properly 'carbed'. 'Great' advice. Sheesh.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #820
Jacinthebox
Recipes 

doing this now...
Water going in at 190, settling down to about 145....letting it sit in the 145 for 20min...I should be ok to kill the yeasts?

Quick Reply