Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #731
branman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

^^^ that's not cool... I got 32 bottles carbinating now how long did you wait to pasturize? How carb'd is to much? I really don't want a glass bomb to go off in my face! :scared:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #732
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by branman View Post
^^^ that's not cool... I got 32 bottles carbinating now how long did you wait to pasturize? How carb'd is to much? I really don't want a glass bomb to go off in my face! :scared:
It seems time to carb can differ greatly. Which makes the plastic bottle critical in my brewlab!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #733
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by branman
If it's really sweet I would start checking it after four days of initial bottling and then every day or every two days after that, but yeah the glasses bombs are a little freaky if you don't have gear on...
And as the dude below your post said the plastic bottle is a great trick
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #735
branman
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517 View Post

It seems time to carb can differ greatly. Which makes the plastic bottle critical in my brewlab!
Wish I would thought of that 2 days ago myself

Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #736
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by branman

Wish I would thought of that 2 days ago myself
Ya, I have done that trick once before & this last week I bottled 6 different batches and didnt do it with a single batch, now I'm kicking myself for it! It would have made life much easier to have a plastic bottle at front of each of my bottled batches....
I will definitely do this from now on...

Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #737
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Doing a batch right now, it's freaky how much the headspace shrinks and liquid level goes up.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #738
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig
Doing a batch right now, it's freaky how much the headspace shrinks and liquid level goes up.
I had all bottle bombs. Maybe you can send me a PM or something and let me know how your pasteurization work out...

Old 03-27-2013, 03:24 AM   #739
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Bottle bombs while pasteurizing or afterwards?

Here's my process, first time, I hope yours weren't after...

I went from 1.071 to 1.027 over 4 days using a variant of the sweet country cider recipe here, I modified it with 2 gallons of apple juice (it was 1.044 out of the jug) and half a dozen fresh juiced granny smith apples and about 20oz of brown sugar, some pectic enzyme, some yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and rehydrated nottingham.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/5-da...-cider-265986/

1.040 seemed too sweet so I let it go longer (I think all that tasting screwed up my stomach, ugh.), still seemed a tad too sweet at 1.027 but it was getting too boozy to let it go longer. I cold crashed it overnight on my screened in back porch at about 35 degrees. I bottled last night around 7:00pm from the cold crash, then immediately stored in the basement to carb at 60 degrees. I made 1 bottle a 20oz plastic pop bottle I squeezed a bit as I capped it to keep it slack. I checked it this morning and the 20oz felt about half carbed, I checked it after dinner and it felt like a new pop bottle and was stiff, so I pasteurized them all exactly according to the directions in this thread, 190 degrees for 10 minutes, the temp only went down to 170 in my pot, the bottles according to my laser thermometer stayed at 150+ for quite some time after.

Pics attached, all of the bottles have pretty much the same normal headspace but the hot bottles on the cutting board have all different levels depending on when I pulled them out, I used a filling wand.

img_0822.jpg   img_0825.jpg   img_0824.jpg  

Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 AM   #740
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig
Bottle bombs while pasteurizing or afterwards?

Here's my process, first time, I hope yours weren't after...

I went from 1.071 to 1.027 over 4 days using a variant of the sweet country cider recipe here, I modified it with 2 gallons of apple juice (it was 1.044 out of the jug) and half a dozen fresh juiced granny smith apples and about 20oz of brown sugar, some pectic enzyme, some yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and rehydrated nottingham.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/5-da...-cider-265986/

1.040 seemed too sweet so I let it go longer (I think all that tasting screwed up my stomach, ugh.), still seemed a tad too sweet at 1.027 but it was getting too boozy to let it go longer. I cold crashed it overnight on my screened in back porch at about 35 degrees. I bottled last night around 7:00pm from the cold crash, then immediately stored in the basement to carb at 60 degrees. I made 1 bottle a 20oz plastic pop bottle I squeezed a bit as I capped it to keep it slack. I checked it this morning and the 20oz felt about half carbed, I checked it after dinner and it felt like a new pop bottle and was stiff, so I pasteurized them all exactly according to the directions in this thread, 190 degrees for 10 minutes, the temp only went down to 170 in my pot, the bottles according to my laser thermometer stayed at 150+ for quite some time after.

Pics attached, all of the bottles have pretty much the same normal headspace but the hot bottles on the cutting board have all different levels depending on when I pulled them out, I used a filling wand.
No, during... But I think I was over carbed

Quick Reply