Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #701
dlutter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default I have pasteurized champagne yeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
I can honestly say I have read all 70 pages of this thread, but do not think there was an answer to my question...BTW, what great information! Has anyone done this with champagne yeast? What is the concern about a batch made with champagne or white wine yeast? Is it just so much more aggressive that it overcarbonates before you pastureize? My first couple batches are .998 now, so I think there are pretty much done. Hoping to prime with dextrose, bottle & pastuerize. Second question: my batches don't seem to be clearing (I did not use pectic enzyme)...is it too late to add that for more clarification? Would something else be better? Many thanks!
Archer,
I have pasterurized my ginger beer fermented with champagne yeast using this method. I very carefully watch carb levels by opening bottles every 12-24 hrs post bottling and then pasteurize using the method described in the first post. I have done this with both 12 oz and 22 oz glass bottles. I have had 2 bottle bombs in one pasteurizing batch(6 bottles) out of almost 2 dozen batches because I got the water too hot. Now I back it down by 10-15 degrees and leave sit 50% longer.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #702
alers22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What is the temp and time for pasteurizing 22 oz bottles? Still 190 for 10 minutes or do I need to go longer?

Thanks!

Primary #1:
1G Primary: Blueberry Mead
1G Primary: Blueberry Mead
1G Primary: Mixed Berry Mead

Keg #1: Pumpkin Ale
Keg #2: Cider
Keg #3: JRHB BA Belgian Quad
Keg #3: Robust Porter

Up Next: IPA, DBL IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #703
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1002 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 2071

Quote:
Originally Posted by alers22 View Post
What is the temp and time for pasteurizing 22 oz bottles? Still 190 for 10 minutes or do I need to go longer?

Thanks!
I don't pasteurize 22 ouncers, but wanted to say that I typically use 180 F now. Just pasteurized another batch last Thursday, without incident.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #704
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post

I don't pasteurize 22 ouncers, but wanted to say that I typically use 180 F now. Just pasteurized another batch last Thursday, without incident.
Anybody have experience with larger bottles? I have a couple nice 32oz. bottles I planned on using for my next batch.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #705
ChrisVZ
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alers22

Thanks!
I ran an experiment back in october and posted the results here. 8 22oz in 2 1/2 gal of 190 degree water for 20 min got them up to 138F. When I did it for real, I did 6 at a time in 3 gal of water for 20 min. to make sure they got hot enough.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #706
idrinkstuffnthings
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey all. I've read a handful of pages here. Great stuff! If its already been asked then I apologize but I couldn't find it. Anyways here's my question. I'm making a hard lemonade and don't want it to go past about 9%. Will this method work for the hard lemonade? I want to carb it in bottle then shut down the ferment.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #707
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkstuffnthings View Post
Hey all. I've read a handful of pages here. Great stuff! If its already been asked then I apologize but I couldn't find it. Anyways here's my question. I'm making a hard lemonade and don't want it to go past about 9%. Will this method work for the hard lemonade? I want to carb it in bottle then shut down the ferment.
It should work. You could let the lemonade ferment to dry, then backsweeten with more lemonade, bottle, and pasteurize when the bottles are carbed.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 02-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #708
idrinkstuffnthings
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ya if it stops the ferment. This recipe can apparently get a little carried away and go upwards of 15%+. Just wanna be prepared for the worst. If I back sweeten do I just add sugar to taste then bottle and pasteurize when ready?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #709
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkstuffnthings View Post
Ya if it stops the ferment. This recipe can apparently get a little carried away and go upwards of 15%+. Just wanna be prepared for the worst. If I back sweeten do I just add sugar to taste then bottle and pasteurize when ready?
It will stop the fermentation if it kills the yeast. What kind of yeast do you use in your recipe?

When I backsweeten cider, what I do is add more apple juice, bottle immediately, and start checking the bottles for carbonation levels in a couple of days. Sorry, I've never made hard lemonade so can't speak from experience with that.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #710
idrinkstuffnthings
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I used EC 1118. The recipe uses ALOT of sugar. The acidic nature of the lemon is supposed to kill off the yeast early. But it doesn't always. Then you get high abv. So I'm just kinda being ready for worst case. After reading more I've got an idea. Gunna cold crash at right abv. Let it clear. Then bottle and pasteurize at right carb amount.

Quick Reply