Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #691
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1033 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 2108

Do you want the cider to be dry? Because, if I'm understanding your question correctly, the yeast will eat up all your backsweetening sugar, leaving you with no backsweetening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyHoller View Post
I know this question has already been asked and answered somewhere in this huge thread. I just cannot find it, so I gotta ask again.

If I ferment to 1.000, and back-sweeten to 1.013, and then bottle in 22 oz. bottles, is there a way to use FG to calculate potential CO2 volumes, assuming all of the sugar is fermentable? All of the carbonation calculators I can find measure sugar adjunct by weight or volume, and I'd like to use gravity.

What I'm getting at: I want to know if cider that is bottled at 1.013 will become a bomb. I have always pasteurized in the past, but am wondering if I need to in this instance.

Again, I know the answer is already out there. My apologies for repeating the question. As always, thanks! I've avoided a lot of mistakes from the good info I've picked up here.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 AM   #692
ShadyHoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Do you want the cider to be dry? Because, if I'm understanding your question correctly, the yeast will eat up all your backsweetening sugar, leaving you with no backsweetening.
Right, I should have clarified that. I'd be OK if it returns to dry. I'm thinking along the lines of a dry apple champagne. In the past I have been gun-shy, and have pasteurized with residual sugar before much carbonation has built up. Just wondering if 1.013 (if fully fermented in the bottle) could be expected to produce enough CO2 to blow the stack.

FWIW, most of this year's batch is going to be pasteurized before the sugar ferments.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #693
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I don't know about your 1.013 question.

If you want it dry, there's no need to backsweeten, you could just prime as you normally would, then wouldn't have to worry about over pressurized bottles.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy

Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #694
natedoggaz
Recipes 

Hello,

(this answer may be somewhere in this thread...)

Does anyone know how much granulated or corn sugar is needed to prime just 1 gallon for carbonation? I used EdWort's Apfelwein recipe... Also, I do want to backsweeten, which I can do with nutrasweet, splenda, or whatever. Does anyone know about how much sweetner I would need? I have quite a few of the small sweenter packages at home. Does either sweetner (prime or back) need to be added to water and boiled prior to adding to the batch?

A half packet of Montrachet yeast was used which I have heard causes it to be dry...

When bottling I am going to put some in a plastic bottle as well, I heard by using one you can get an indicator of how your carbonation is doing by feeling the pressure...

Thanks!

ND

6 gallon primary 2/19 - English Pale Ale 1.045 OG
1 gallon jug: Grape juice wine (peaches added)
Bottled 1/25 - American Honey Porter FG=1.015 5.9%
Bottled 2/6 - 1 gallon EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled 2/11: Sonofgrok's Sake recipe 3x16oz bottles blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry
Future: Skeeter Pee (its lemon season in AZ, already juiced over 36 fresh lemons!)

Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #695
ShadyHoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
If you want it dry, there's no need to backsweeten, you could just prime as you normally would, then wouldn't have to worry about over pressurized bottles.
Right. Good point. I only ask because we back-sweetened (in bulk) everything that we bottled, with the intention of pasteurizing as soon as it developed mild carbonation, using the squeezie plastic water bottle test. The thought of letting some continue to ferment in the bottle didn't occur to me until that whole batch was sweetened and bottled, in the neighborhood of 1.012-1.013. I thought I could just leave a few bottles out of the pasteurizing treatment, and let them become apple champagne, but I'm starting to think that, at this sugar level, we might be risking too much carbonation.

(We have some remaining cider that is completely dry and still, in bulk-storage in carboys, so I guess can use that, with a little priming sugar, for a dry sparkling bubbly.)

Anyway, I'll stop hogging the stage here. Thanks for talking me out of a half-baked idea. I don't want exploded bottles in the basement. Or anywhere else.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #696
DrunkJohnnyAppleseed
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

This looks awesome. I have 3 questions:

1.) Is this technique ok for Oxidized caps? (it doesn't melt the plastic)
2.) Does this process effectively stop your cider from getting vinegary?
3.) Has anyone ever tried this by putting bottles in the oven and slowly heating to 190 degrees? This may be more time efficient

Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #697
Fossey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkJohnnyAppleseed
This looks awesome. I have 3 questions:

1.) Is this technique ok for Oxidized caps? (it doesn't melt the plastic)
2.) Does this process effectively stop your cider from getting vinegary?
3.) Has anyone ever tried this by putting bottles in the oven and slowly heating to 190 degrees? This may be more time efficient
I haven't tried the oven but have had success with the dishwasher. Uses lower temperatures over a longer period of time - feels safer to me and easier to clean if any do blow!

I used the Intensive setting that ran for a couple of hours - max temp of about 50 deg celsius with the whole 6 gallon batch done in one cycle and no bombs so far. Important to monitor your carbonation levels before any pasteurising method, of course.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #698
Archer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I can honestly say I have read all 70 pages of this thread, but do not think there was an answer to my question...BTW, what great information! Has anyone done this with champagne yeast? What is the concern about a batch made with champagne or white wine yeast? Is it just so much more aggressive that it overcarbonates before you pastureize? My first couple batches are .998 now, so I think there are pretty much done. Hoping to prime with dextrose, bottle & pastuerize. Second question: my batches don't seem to be clearing (I did not use pectic enzyme)...is it too late to add that for more clarification? Would something else be better? Many thanks!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #699
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Welcome, Archer! I can't answer your question from experience. I think if you let the yeast ferment to dry (as I do now) and then backsweeten and pasteurize, I see no problem using champagne or wine yeast. These temps will knock them out. I think pectic enzyme needs to be added pre-fermentation, but I may be wrong.

I've watched all of seasons 1 and 2 of Archer on Netflix and I am secretly hoping your username is taken from the show.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #700
Archer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Thank you, Papers. I already have an Archer avatar from the show for when I upgrade my membership here.

I will ask my local HBS if there is anything I can do for clarification; maybe I just need to be more patient. Would you happen to know if its better to age the cider either 1) in the 1 gallon carboys before bottling, etc. or 2) going ahead with bottling to 12 oz beer bottles, carbonating, pastuerizing, and then aging?

archer.jpg  

Quick Reply