Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #681
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 957 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Quote:
Originally Posted by okemasis View Post
I love this method, but always end up with some lees in my bottles after the week of carbonating. Does anyone else run into this, and is there a way around it? I want to check because it could just be sediment, as I only filter through a mesh bag, which is not very fine.
If you are going to bottle condition, i.e. have the yeast in the bottle and eating up some sugar to produce CO2 in the bottle, you will get a small layer of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. If you get the rid of the yeast before bottling (by cold-crashing and filtering, for example) then you would need to force carbonate it in a keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #682
nvs-brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Did my 1st cider about a month ago..all good!

Pasteurising the 2nd batch...had 2 bombs go off in the pot! Scared the pants of me!

Did exactly as stated in this thread both times with 2 different results...
Trying to get a fridge, may start cold crashing after last night!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #683
Beernewb
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

great thread papps, thanks for all the information...

I did a cider back on Nov 23 using a cry nottingham yeast, unfiltered organic apple cider and dextrose. It was actively bubbling for 3 weeks, so I let it go and took a hydrometer sample on 12/21 and got 1.010. Time got away from me with the holidays, so here I am with a cider 6 weeks in the carboy. I took another hydro reading and it doesn;t seem like it dropped below 1.008, but it's definitely much drier and less sweet...it actually has some natural fizz to it now.
Here's my plan:
I;m going to crash cool it to 40, I assume like beer, it won;t drop out all the yeast and like my beers, I bottle them cold with less priming sugar and they always turn out fine. In this case I plan to backsweeten, but hope to have enough carbonation at the time of bottling to just pasteurize (once I let the bottles come up to room temp-if they don't have a decent level of carbonation, I'll check every day since it already has some fizz and won;t need much to carb.
I plan on using mostly 22oz bottles, would you use the same temp profile, 190 for 10 minutes? thx.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #684
flashj
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I was glad to find this procedure spelled out and tried it on a batch this summer to good effect. A second time something got out of hand, probably let the water get too hot and I lost some fizz to over heating. It was a bit more 'still' than I had planned but still very palatable.
cheers!

Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #685
wiredpanic
Recipes 

Default Gushers

So my first batch required lots of sugar for back sweetening so I took extra precautions. I was gonna pasteurize to keep them from exploding essentially. I am just now getting half way through and I checked one of the bottles I had already pasteurized and it was a gusher. I check two more and had the same issue. Before I began I checked several bottles to make sure the weren't over carbed, and I thought they were perfect. Does anyone know why they became gushers? Will they stop doing so after cooling completely or being refrigerated?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #686
ChrisVZ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Try chilling one before opening. Cold liquid holds more CO2 than warm. Give it a day or more to re-absorb the CO2 driven out before popping it open.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #687
wiredpanic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisVZ View Post
Try chilling one before opening. Cold liquid holds more CO2 than warm. Give it a day or more to re-absorb the CO2 driven out before popping it open.
thanks! Just got nervous since i was planning on handing them out. i feel that would be a crappy gift.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #688
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

OK so I've used the stove top method with great results. Now I wanna get a large stainless pot with removable basket and top. Large enough to hold six 12 oz bottles with the lid on. I plan on modifying it with a big dial thermometer. Anyone know what I mean and where I can get it?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #689
ChrisVZ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkKF
OK so I've used the stove top method with great results. Now I wanna get a large stainless pot with removable basket and top. Large enough to hold six 12 oz bottles with the lid on. I plan on modifying it with a big dial thermometer. Anyone know what I mean and where I can get it?
You can get your basket and maybe the whole setup you describe in the canning/preserving section of your local superstore of farm supply store.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #690
ShadyHoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know this question has already been asked and answered somewhere in this huge thread. I just cannot find it, so I gotta ask again.

If I ferment to 1.000, and back-sweeten to 1.013, and then bottle in 22 oz. bottles, is there a way to use FG to calculate potential CO2 volumes, assuming all of the sugar is fermentable? All of the carbonation calculators I can find measure sugar adjunct by weight or volume, and I'd like to use gravity.

What I'm getting at: I want to know if cider that is bottled at 1.013 will become a bomb. I have always pasteurized in the past, but am wondering if I need to in this instance.

Again, I know the answer is already out there. My apologies for repeating the question. As always, thanks! I've avoided a lot of mistakes from the good info I've picked up here.

Reason: fix typo

Quick Reply