Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #641
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo-Rick View Post
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the finished flavor of a cider that has been bottled conditioned and then pasteurized. Does it give it more of a cooked/caramelized apple flavor, or will it be cleaner than I think?
I only ended up pasteurizing about half of my batch. The pasteurized ones taste just like the ones that aren't...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #642
rialaigh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Sounds like a great way to end a scary day.. Glad it looks good... please do follow up when its been sitting for a bit.
I know its only been 4 more days but I am confident it has worked now.

To recap I brought my water to 175 degrees, set a bout 7 bottles in and covered the lid for 10 minutes (and pulled it off the heat). And then I made sure at the end of the 10 minutes the water temp was still close to 150. Worked like a charm, had no issues with caps leaking or bottles busting.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #643
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

If after four days nothing has happened i believe you truly are in the clear... Now comes the best part...Enjoying the fruits of your labor... Enjoy... Cheers

Old 12-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #644
Goorjus_Gold
Recipes 

Hi All

This is my first post on the forum - and I'm sorry if it's either a silly or a repeated question - when bottling can I use carbonation drops instead of the priming solution?

Thank in advance for your help!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #645
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goorjus_Gold View Post
Hi All

This is my first post on the forum - and I'm sorry if it's either a silly or a repeated question - when bottling can I use carbonation drops instead of the priming solution?

Thank in advance for your help!
Hi...No question is ever a silly question since you are looking for an answer. To answer your question "yes" but the you may need to add more than one drop depending on the size of container ... check your amount to be used and add appropriate amount ...

Cheers

Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #646
Newbie69
Recipes 

I read a lot of this section but not the whole thing to find this answer. May be a stupid question,but do you back sweeten before or after you pasteurize? Also could I do this to a gallon jug with a twist off and then just refrigerate it?

Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #647
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie69 View Post
I read a lot of this section but not the whole thing to find this answer. May be a stupid question,but do you back sweeten before or after you pasteurize? Also could I do this to a gallon jug with a twist off and then just refrigerate it?
This process is done once you are done with your sweetener and capping it..its to kill the yeast and maintain your carbonation... if you are using a jug with a twist off then you wouldn't need this process but if you still wish on using it be very careful because i think you're asking for a bottle bomb

Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #648
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 955 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 2025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie69 View Post
From your question, I don't think you have thought through the processes involved in making bottle conditioned, semi-sweet, sparkling cider.

For example, you're not going to carbonate your cider in a gallon wine jug. Its made for still wine, not carbonated. And if you are going to make still (not carbonated) cider, then there is no need to pasteurize at all.

How would you backsweeten after pasteurization? You would have to open up the bottles, which would defeat the purpose of bottle conditioning.

Here's the overview of the steps I use:

1) make your cider
2) backsweeten and/or prime your cider at the same time you bottle (the yeast are still active at this point and will begin to eat up the sugars in your backsweetener)
3) when the bottles are carbonated (but not overcarbonated) you need to stop the yeast, so that is when you pasteurize

An alternative approach you might consider is very well described at www.makinghardcider.com

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 12-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #649
venm
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I posted a question on page 64. It was the one with the picture of the bottles at the bottom of the page. I was really hoping for some advice as to whether the bottles I have are ok for pasteurizing. Also, does anyone have any ideas on how long I should pasteurize the bottles as they are 16 and 32 ounces?

Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #650
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 955 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 2025

Quote:
Originally Posted by venm View Post
I posted a question on page 64. It was the one with the picture of the bottles at the bottom of the page. I was really hoping for some advice as to whether the bottles I have are ok for pasteurizing. Also, does anyone have any ideas on how long I should pasteurize the bottles as they are 16 and 32 ounces?
Sorry, I've never pasteurized in flip top bottles, so can't speak from personal experience. There's no reason why they wouldn't work, I think.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Quick Reply