Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #621
rialaigh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Im doing this method now, scared at 190 degrees as the water has started bubbling, Think I am safe at 175 (In a large pot, not much temp drop when adding 6-8 bottles) for 10 minutes?

Id rather do it right now, safetly than have bombs a day or two down the road, but I would also rather not hurt myself tonight.

I have 55 bottles to do

so 175-180, yay or nay?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #622
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Good luck and please follow up

Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #623
rialaigh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Will do, Im heating the pot to 175, dropping 7 bottles in, and the pot temperature at the end of 10 minutes is roughly 145, then repeating...everything seems fine so far, the bottles I pulled out 20 minutes ago are still hot as heck, looks like they are going to have to sit on the counter for an hour or two

Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #624
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Per Pappers instructions he brings it up to 190 turns off the heat and places bottles in for 10 minutes then removes them and places them on counter for a bit and transfers them to a case to continue cooling .

Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #625
rialaigh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Per Pappers instructions he brings it up to 190 turns off the heat and places bottles in for 10 minutes then removes them and places them on counter for a bit and transfers them to a case to continue cooling .
I know, I was scared at 190 because my water was starting to boil (and yes I knowboiling point is 212). The bottles were rattling off the bottom of the pan and back down at 190...was scarrry

Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #626
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 888 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by rialaigh View Post
I know, I was scared at 190 because my water was starting to boil (and yes I knowboiling point is 212). The bottles were rattling off the bottom of the pan and back down at 190...was scarrry
Err on the side of caution. Take the water off the heat. Don't do anything that scares you.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #627
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post

Err on the side of caution. Take the water off the heat. Don't do anything that scares you.
I agree... always better safe than sorry

Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #628
Atfer
Recipes 

I've been wondering something! Could a plastic soda bottle be used to see if the pressure is right? When bottling, we could bottle a sample of the cider in a plastic soda bottle of the same size and volume as the beer bottle and cap it. When the soda bottle would be firm enough, then the pressure would be good in the beer bottle! To save the cider, the soda bottle could be cold crashed and drank since it wouldn't stand the heat of the pasteurization. This way, with experience, no bottle would have to be opened to check the pressure!

I don't know if that have ever been tried, but I'll sure try that once my new batch is ready for bottling!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #629
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfer
I've been wondering something! Could a plastic soda bottle be used to see if the pressure is right? When bottling, we could bottle a sample of the cider in a plastic soda bottle of the same size and volume as the beer bottle and cap it. When the soda bottle would be firm enough, then the pressure would be good in the beer bottle! To save the cider, the soda bottle could be cold crashed and drank since it wouldn't stand the heat of the pasteurization. This way, with experience, no bottle would have to be opened to check the pressure!

I don't know if that have ever been tried, but I'll sure try that once my new batch is ready for bottling!
Good thinking Atfer! It's very common. I think most cider makers use this method at least while they are learning their equipment. I definitely do

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #630
rialaigh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
It appears that heating the pot to 175 has worked. I do not (and won't know for sure for a few days at least) but nothing has exploded and I opened a bottle tonight and it does not seem any more carbed than when I opened one right before pasturizing. I am hoping it worked because I have two full cases that taste pretty decent (still a little yeasty) but I know that will improve in about a month (prob crack some open at christmas time, then again at the end of Jan for vacation)

I will update again in a week and let you know if any have busted or carb has resumed, hopefully I will be able to tell everyone all is will

Quick Reply