Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #601
dbsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I think this would be a nice way to help perform this procedure (more) safely: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pressure-gauge-mounted-bottle-cap-268151/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #602
amandley
Recipes 

Just started doing this for the first time on a batch of mikes caramel cider. My first few bottles were the bigger swing top bottles. (1 ltr maybe?) I used a plastic soda bottle so I knew my pressure. 2 out of the three bottles were fine but after the water bath, during cooling, 1 bottle blew up. Did I miss something?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #603
ciderjunkie
Recipes 

I have 12 gallons in 3 carboys that fermented in less than a week with champagne yeast. VERY dry. Getting ready to back sweeten and sit for a spell before adding the priming sugar and bottling in 750ml swing tops. Trying to get them ready for xmas so wanna make sure I don't rush anything or miss a step (virgin batch). Would appreciate an opinion:

1. How long should I wait between back sweetening and then bottling?
2. Assuming about 2 weeks for carbonation, correct?
3. Want to NOT have to keep them refrigerated long term but too many bottles and no feasible way to cold crash. Assuming will have to bottle pasteurize per your thread (many gracious thanks BTW) but not sure timing and such for the 750's.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #604
CarnieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm a little concerned at the timing...I made my first batch of cider recently, having had great success with a few home brewed beers. I decided to do a little 7 litre/2 gallon test batch to see how it would turn out. Using just apple juice from my local store, OG was 1044, i pitched a generic "fruit pulp/white wine" yeast recommended by my local wine making shop. After 9 days it was sitting spot on 1000, and four days later it was still 1000. So I added another 1.3 quarts of the original apple juice to this in order to back sweeten, and lower the abv, then bottled.

I was told about this trick of bottling into 1 plastic soft drink bottle, and the rest into glass, then waiting for the plastic bottle to go hard. Was told this "should" take around 6 days. BUT...I bottled two days ago, and the plastic bottle is already very hard, at least as hard as a bottle of coke would be from the shop. I'm obviously nervous about leaving it too long. What's the trick here, open one of my glass bottles and taste it to see if it's carbonated enough, and if so, pasteurize?

Old 12-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #605
wooda2008
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciderjunkie View Post
I have 12 gallons in 3 carboys that fermented in less than a week with champagne yeast. VERY dry. Getting ready to back sweeten and sit for a spell before adding the priming sugar and bottling in 750ml swing tops. Trying to get them ready for xmas so wanna make sure I don't rush anything or miss a step (virgin batch). Would appreciate an opinion:

1. How long should I wait between back sweetening and then bottling?
2. Assuming about 2 weeks for carbonation, correct?
3. Want to NOT have to keep them refrigerated long term but too many bottles and no feasible way to cold crash. Assuming will have to bottle pasteurize per your thread (many gracious thanks BTW) but not sure timing and such for the 750's.
Junkie,
Unless you backsweeten with something unfermentable like splenda or lactose, the yeast will chew it up along with your priming sugar. I usually backsweeten with splenda to taste, then add my priming sugar, then bottle. *all at once*

Last edited by wooda2008; 12-01-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: unclear about timeframe for advice. ADHD.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #606
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Question ...why not just add Sulfite? Its what most wineries use ... read any bottle of wine and you'll see it

Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #607
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 915 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Question ...why not just add Sulfite? Its what most wineries use ... read any bottle of wine and you'll see it
That works if you are going to force carbonate it, or drink it still. But if you want to bottle carbonate (bottle condition it), if you stop the yeast with sulfite, it won't work.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #608
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnieBrew View Post
I'm a little concerned at the timing...I made my first batch of cider recently, having had great success with a few home brewed beers. I decided to do a little 7 litre/2 gallon test batch to see how it would turn out. Using just apple juice from my local store, OG was 1044, i pitched a generic "fruit pulp/white wine" yeast recommended by my local wine making shop. After 9 days it was sitting spot on 1000, and four days later it was still 1000. So I added another 1.3 quarts of the original apple juice to this in order to back sweeten, and lower the abv, then bottled.

I was told about this trick of bottling into 1 plastic soft drink bottle, and the rest into glass, then waiting for the plastic bottle to go hard. Was told this "should" take around 6 days. BUT...I bottled two days ago, and the plastic bottle is already very hard, at least as hard as a bottle of coke would be from the shop. I'm obviously nervous about leaving it too long. What's the trick here, open one of my glass bottles and taste it to see if it's carbonated enough, and if so, pasteurize?
If you are going to pastuerize, especially your first time, err on the side of undercarbonation. If you think it is overcarbonated, open the bottles and release some CO2 before going forward.

Check your bottles early and often is my advice. Once you know your system, how things work with your setup, then you can be a little looser. At least that was my experience.

Another option for bottle conditioning and carbonating cider is the method described on this website www.makinghardcider.com Its a good method.

I've got a batch of cider in the basement now, that will be ready to backsweeten and bottle in a few days. For my system, that usually means I pasteurize 2-4 days later.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #609
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post

That works if you are going to force carbonate it, or drink it still. But if you want to bottle carbonate (bottle condition it), if you stop the yeast with sulfite, it won't work.
But if you are pasteurizing it aren't you also killing the yeast? And wouldn't that also not help in the carbonation process?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #610
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
But if you are pasteurizing it aren't you also killing the yeast? And wouldn't that also not help in the carbonation process?
You pasteurize and kill the yeast after the bottles are carbonated. If you were to add sulfite, you'd need to do it before or at the bottling, before carbonation.

Quick Reply