Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #591
anywhereout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Are people still heating their water up above 140, then inserting their cider with the assumption it will fall?

I still can't understand why you would do that. Here's what I did last night:
1. put bottles in a pot
2. fill pot with hottest water out of the tap
3. heat pot on stove to 140
4. leave it there for a while
I heat my water over 140 because I don't believe the cider temperature would reach high enough to sterilize the yeast otherwise. the bottles and water coming to equilibrium would drop the water bath to a temperature too low to get the job done. Also, room temperature in my house is 75 degrees, and my tap water (which i run over the bottles first to pre-heat) is 130 degrees F. I have no cracked bottles from temperature so far. If I could start with water at 140 and keep it at 140 while the internal bottle temperature rose and sat at 140, I would do that. just not practical for me though without applying direct heat to the pot while bottles are in it. curious to see if you get bottle bombs over a period of a few months or more! Yeast type and racking could also be a factor here as well.

If Texas is Purgatory, well, the Devil best turn up the heat.

Reason: adding more

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #592
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Anyone ever use a cooler to do more bottles at a time? Did you follow the OPs instructions step for step?

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Muddy Waters Bourbon Mocha Stout
Primary : London System Southern English Brown
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 11-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #593
anywhereout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
Anyone ever use a cooler to do more bottles at a time? Did you follow the OPs instructions step for step?
I'm not sure why that never occurred to me to try this. boil a bunch of water, pour in cooler, add bottles? Is that what you are thinking when you say use a cooler? Great idea for coolers that handle heat.

update to my last yeasty batch: yeast has dropped out of suspension and cider is damn delicious after some short term bottle 'aging', as long as you pour carefully. any funkiness from super quick fermentation times is no longer present and carbonation is just right for my taste. I also find if you get just a touch of yeast in the pour, it tastes like pie crust. yum.

If Texas is Purgatory, well, the Devil best turn up the heat.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #594
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Yea I was thinking of using my mash tun and another cooler. I figured I can do nearly the whole batch at one time instead of spending an hour and a half over my stove.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Muddy Waters Bourbon Mocha Stout
Primary : London System Southern English Brown
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #595
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by anywhereout

I heat my water over 140 because I don't believe the cider temperature would reach high enough to sterilize the yeast otherwise. the bottles and water coming to equilibrium would drop the water bath to a temperature too low to get the job done. Also, room temperature in my house is 75 degrees, and my tap water (which i run over the bottles first to pre-heat) is 130 degrees F. I have no cracked bottles from temperature so far. If I could start with water at 140 and keep it at 140 while the internal bottle temperature rose and sat at 140, I would do that. just not practical for me though without applying direct heat to the pot while bottles are in it. curious to see if you get bottle bombs over a period of a few months or more! Yeast type and racking could also be a factor here as well.
You could do a decoction pasteurization to avoid thermal shock. Loved the idea of using the cooler. Seems dramatically better than room temp pressurized bottles onto hot hot liquid.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #596
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I am about to get into the hard cider. I had some Angry Orchard hard cider and I am hooked.
I am glad I read this whole thread. One thing that occurred to me is that I can use my BIAB rig to do the pasteurization. I am going to fill the kettle with bottles to see how many I can get in there at once.
I don't know why you couldn't load the cider filled bottles into an ambient temperature filled kettle, turn the heat and the pump on. Wait for the heat alarm to go off then set the timer for 20 minutes. Doing it that way will give a more consistent temperature throughout the bottles so you could probably use a lower temp setting.

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #597
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1022 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
I am about to get into the hard cider. I had some Angry Orchard hard cider and I am hooked.
I am glad I read this whole thread. One thing that occurred to me is that I can use my BIAB rig to do the pasteurization. I am going to fill the kettle with bottles to see how many I can get in there at once.
I don't know why you couldn't load the cider filled bottles into an ambient temperature filled kettle, turn the heat and the pump on. Wait for the heat alarm to go off then set the timer for 20 minutes. Doing it that way will give a more consistent temperature throughout the bottles so you could probably use a lower temp setting.
Using an electric element, you mean? That seems fine to me.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy

Old 11-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #598
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thats not a bad idea!

Did my first batch yesterday Pappers. Did 8 bottles, lost one (complete explosion) and one had a leaky cap (but didn't leak liquid afterwards? Might be ok I suppose)

Thanks for this post!

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #599
mitchm
Recipes 

So I just want to make sure my pasteurization went ok. Heated water til just short of boiling (no thermometer that goes over 150*F). While this was going, had my bottles soaking in another pot of hot tap water. Didn't bother checking temp, just wanted to warm them up from my cold garage. The smaller bottles went in the pot, stove was turned off and they sat almost covered to the top for ~13min. Ditto with my 22oz bottles. I ran a test bottle of water and 20minutes after taking it out, the temp inside was still over 150*. So I should be fine, right? So far so good, no explosions...last 6 22oz bottles in the pot now.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #600
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1022 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchm View Post
So I just want to make sure my pasteurization went ok. Heated water til just short of boiling (no thermometer that goes over 150*F). While this was going, had my bottles soaking in another pot of hot tap water. Didn't bother checking temp, just wanted to warm them up from my cold garage. The smaller bottles went in the pot, stove was turned off and they sat almost covered to the top for ~13min. Ditto with my 22oz bottles. I ran a test bottle of water and 20minutes after taking it out, the temp inside was still over 150*. So I should be fine, right? So far so good, no explosions...last 6 22oz bottles in the pot now.
sounds good to me!

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy

Quick Reply