Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #571
andymonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Nice tutorial!

Question: Do the bottle have to be submerged until the neck? I plan on using 22 oz bottles (from Crispin Sake Cider). I don't have a pot tall enough to submerge the bottles until the neck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #572
HauserHooch
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djelemenohpee View Post
Can you use swing top style bottles when using this pasteurization process? like grolsch bottles or bottles purchased at ikea or other stores. or will the pressure be too great and the tops will pop?
I just did this yesterday with swing top bottles and it worked perfectly! I used both 16 ounce and 32 ounce ones. For the 32 i gave it a few extra minutes in the bath.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #573
HauserHooch
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilswine View Post
Can I pastuerize in plastic PET bottles like the Mr Brew bottles? Or will the temperature melt them?
190 isnt going to be enough to melt them.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #574
HauserHooch
Recipes 

[QUOTE=candice;4381169]So I have been following this post for a little
While now with the intention of using this method with my first cider. I am waiting on it to carb up right now and am going to open my first bottle to see if it's ready. My question: if I open the bottle and its not carbed up enough can I re-seal it or is it a goner? I am new with it all and I have been wondering this one for awhile cause I don't want to waste any.[/QUOT

This advice is a little late now, but the best thing to do is fill up a couple plastic bottles, like old soda bottles, along with all of your galss ones. Because with the palstic bottle you can feel the preasure inside unlike the glass. So you know when it is ready without having to waste cider.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #575
the_ginger_ninja
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauserHooch View Post
190 isnt going to be enough to melt them.
For what it's worth, pasteurising in standard PET bottles is not recommended.

From the point of of view of safety, there are some plastic bottles that will leech the chemicals in to the product when they are subjected to heat. From the point of view of just usability while heat may not melt them they may become slightly maleable. Combined with the pressure of the carbonation and you could find that the bottles bulge, or most likely that the bottom of the bottle pops out which is kind of interesting!

Bottles designed for pasteurisation in plastic are called 'hot fill', and they're what the fresh juices are bottled in to as the juice is heated to 85-90 centigrade and bottled at that temperature to pasteurise. Here in the UK they're impossible to buy for a small guy, but in the States where they're manufactured you may have more luck.

Lastly, unless you're buying very specific niche plastic with a special oxygen barrier layer inbuilt in to the bottle then believe it or not the plastic is actually porous. If you look at a bottle of coke etc you'll find that it actually has a pretty short shelf-life of only a few months. That's not because it'll go off (the contents are almost all man-made) but because the fizz will disappear pretty quickly! If you're bottling something that's oxygen sensitive like beer etc then the reverse is true that ultimately it will allow some air in.

Now, this is all the theory. I have very little experience in bottling in to plastic, but I thought I'd share. It's entirely possible that all will be OK, but at least if you know what the potential pitfalls are then you know what to look out for.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #576
daughterofthesun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

LOVE this idea! And all I have to do in order to get it right is drink a bottle of my cider every day? SOLD!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #577
jeremybrooks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMang View Post
I have an infected batch of pumpkin ale that may have lacto in it. Is this technique only good for cider or can I use it to kill off the lacto after its done carbing in the bottle?
Or, let it go and check it ever couple of months.... Maybe sour pumpkin ale is a good thing!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #578
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Everyone has said that. I just don't want to drink a pumpkin ale in January. I bottled it. It's carbonated great and am drinking it without a sour taste at all so far. I'm just gonna drink it quick so i dont get bottle bombs and maybe try brewing it again in a week or so.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #579
kmenard
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Pasteurized another batch two days ago, worked great and the resulting cider was light, crisp and bubbly. Between swmbo and friends, we go through it very quickly.

In other threads and pm's, I've chatted with some folks who have run into a problem that I want to highlight - letting the bottles carbonate too much in the bottle before pasteurizing. Especially if this is your first time making cider and you're not sure what to expect, err on the side of checking carbonation levels early and often. And if the carbonation level is too high, do not pasteurize. You run a risk blowing off caps or worse, exploding bottles.

Once you know your process (for the juice you use, the yeast you like, your fermentation temps, etc) you can be a little more relaxed. But again, do not pasteurize over-carbonated bottles.
Once you open up a test bottle...is that bottle now toast?

Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #580
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmenard View Post
Once you open up a test bottle...is that bottle now toast?
Nope just recap it and open a different one next time.
- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."
kmenard Likes This 

Quick Reply