Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #541
kiwibrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That, and 190 deg air, will not change the internal temp of the cider as quickly as 190 deg water. Think about it, I'd sit in a 190 deg sauna, but not a 190 deg hot tub.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #542
jwynia
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There's a nice hybrid option in the form of a turkey roaster full of water. Put the bottles in that water, put the turkey roaster on a temp controller with the temp probe in either the water or an open "control" bottle and you've got fine-grained control of the temp, a water bath, etc.

I'm using this to do pasteurization at lower temps for longer while still having complete control over the process.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #543
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I use my wife's pasta pan and put the top on it. I drop a thermometer thru the vent hole to keep an eye on temp. If there is a blow up there's only a narrow window of danger.

image-59652159.jpg  

Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #544
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemdoc

Personally, I consider the stovetop a safer method. If you do have a bottle blow, the water will go a long way to absorbing much of the energy, slowing down the potential shrapnel. In addition, most of the "damage" will be confined to the pot. Although the oven provides a strong physical barrier between you and the "bomb," my oven has a glass window in the front and with my luck this would be cracked or broken. This would make SWMBO extremely irritable...certainly not a safe situation.
Lol. I only have a medium sized pot though that can maybe handle eight bottles at a time at most. Could put a bunch in the stove. Are explosions that common during this process? My stove has a glass door as well. What does SWMBO stand for? Some significant other reference no doubt.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #545
chemdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox

Lol. I only have a medium sized pot though that can maybe handle eight bottles at a time at most. Could put a bunch in the stove. Are explosions that common during this process? My stove has a glass door as well. What does SWMBO stand for? Some significant other reference no doubt.
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed (the wife-person or other type) Not smart to anger them with an unforeseen consequence of your hobby.
I have never had a problem with explosions, but the potential is there. Others have not been so lucky. I work with potentially explosive and hazardous things all day long, and I still get a little freaked out every time I put the first batch into the water. Just make sure to test one of the bottles by opening it prior to heating the batch. If the bottle gushes liquid all over the place, you have waited too long and shouldn't risk it. Hope all goes well for you.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #546
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Only bottled yesterday and the plastic test bottle still has some flex. Will open a bottle tomorrow to test it. Not sure what I'm looking for, but I guess the sound of carbonation when opening and bubbles when poured. Do I need to chill it before opening or does it not matter?

Old 08-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #547
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

The directions say to allow them to cool to room temperature then chill and enjoy. If you aren't going to drink them right away, I gather I just store them at room temp til I plan to drink them?

Old 08-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #548
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm thinking most people drink cider cold, as with most beverages. But cold or not shouldn't have any effect on the carbonation.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #549
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 936 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
The directions say to allow them to cool to room temperature then chill and enjoy. If you aren't going to drink them right away, I gather I just store them at room temp til I plan to drink them?
Yes, that's what I meant.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 08-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #550
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Are they ready to pasteurize when the test plastic bottle is fairly firm or totally firm? Bottled the night before last and the test bottle is fairly firm.

Quick Reply