Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #511
sa101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This thread has worked a treat for me, cheers Pappers!
One thing though, I didn't have a pot in the house that covered the entire bottle length, so was forced to use one that only covered around 2/3's. My thermometer only went to 60C, so just pasteurised for 15 minutes at a constant temp of 60C. That should be fine right???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 04:45 AM   #512
brewmaster89
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Had one bottle bomb this week so I realized it was time to do this. Water is heating up now. 3 cases to go!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #513
brewmaster89
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

2 exploded in the water when I was taking them out. Not sure how I didn't get hit but on to the next round of 8.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #514
qewret
Recipes 

I really apologize if this was already covered, I've read the whole thread looking for this answer and I'm pretty sure I didn't miss it! I also tried a general search and no good, so this method would work for a fruit wheat beer right? I don't see why it wouldn't but it seems like it would be more popular if it did. Instead of using unfermentable sugars add blueberries or whichever fruit flavor you want for priming and pasteurizing before its all fermented?

Old 05-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #515
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1002 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 2073

Quote:
Originally Posted by qewret View Post
I really apologize if this was already covered, I've read the whole thread looking for this answer and I'm pretty sure I didn't miss it! I also tried a general search and no good, so this method would work for a fruit wheat beer right? I don't see why it wouldn't but it seems like it would be more popular if it did. Instead of using unfermentable sugars add blueberries or whichever fruit flavor you want for priming and pasteurizing before its all fermented?
I've never done it, but yes, I think you are correct. One difference, though, would be that the beer will already have some sweetness to it and adding more sweetness through fruit might give you a very sweet beer. But I've never done it so can't say - sounds like an experiment.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #516
Charlieatthedisco
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have been working on a cider, I have it cold crashed currently but when I opened a bottle it foamed up to the top of the bottle, went down an the carbonation seems great, would this still be safe to pasteurize?

Old 05-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #517
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

If it is gushing - foaming up in the bottle when you open it, not just when you pour it in a glass - I wouldn't pasteurize it. But its hard to tell without actually seeing it. If you want to do a test and try it, use a lid on your pot and use caution.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #518
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

This is your perfect example of overcarbed cider. Do not pasteurize as is. Like the sticky and threads say, your best bet is to uncap the bottles one by one then immediately recap them. Then you should be ok to.pasteurize.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #519
lindsaylu
Recipes 

Hello,

Great post and kudos on your bottles & presentation!

My husband and I are newer to cider and are on our second batch. First batch was a great tasting still cider; we want to carbonate this batch. We prefer a drier (not bone dry) and moderately carbonated cider. A couple questions on pasteurization and carbonation...

We have read that you boil and cool 3/4C corn sugar with 2C h2o and add to bottling bucket. Is this a good measure for the priming sugar?

Would you recommend pasteurizing if the desired cider is a drier one?

We use a variety of bottles including the large brown (1L) flip-top and growlers. Can you pasteurize with a screw-top growler and -- can you pasteurize various size bottles in the same pot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Old 06-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #520
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaylu View Post
Hello,

Great post and kudos on your bottles & presentation!

My husband and I are newer to cider and are on our second batch. First batch was a great tasting still cider; we want to carbonate this batch. We prefer a drier (not bone dry) and moderately carbonated cider. A couple questions on pasteurization and carbonation...

We have read that you boil and cool 3/4C corn sugar with 2C h2o and add to bottling bucket. Is this a good measure for the priming sugar?

Would you recommend pasteurizing if the desired cider is a drier one?

We use a variety of bottles including the large brown (1L) flip-top and growlers. Can you pasteurize with a screw-top growler and -- can you pasteurize various size bottles in the same pot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Welcome!

I use a little less regular table sugar (white cane or beet), about 2/3 cups dissolved in 2 cups of boiling water, per 5 gallon batch. You can scale up or down from there. I've only pasteurized using the 12 ounce bottles, so can't speak from experience.

Have you and your husband taken a look at www.makinghardcider.com? Its a great method for making bottle conditioned, semi-sweet, sparkling cider, too.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Quick Reply