Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 898 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So pasturizing doesn't kill your co2 level/carbonation? I didn't know you can maintain carbonation and still heat it enough to kill the yeast.
In the cider, its fine. I'm confident that the 190 degrees for 10 minutes in regular 12 ounce bottles with ale yeast works, I've had no bottle bombs. The carbonation level is fine, although you can adjust that by when you do the pasteurizing. You can see in the photo the level of carbonation that I usually aim for.
AndrewH Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Schecter
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great outline Pappers. This is exactly what I plan to be doing in about 2 weeks!

Keg 1: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale
Keg 2: Jingaling (Yuengling clone)
Bottled: I keg...the hells wrong with you?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
AJC16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome this should be a sticky! It must be cool to see the co2 bubbling in the bottle before after the bath and then nothing after! Also Pappers do you still use 4 oz for priming or less?

Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #14
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC16 View Post
Awesome this should be a sticky! It must be cool to see the co2 bubbling in the bottle before after the bath and then nothing after! Also Pappers do you still use 4 oz for priming or less?

I do use 4 ounce (about 2/3 of a cup) of corn sugar or 3/4 cup of cane sugar for priming a 5 gallon batch.

I'm not sure I understand your second sentence, though. The bottles are capped, so you don't see any carbonation activity - but perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #15
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This method works out pretty well... It's a great way to keep a sweet, carbonated hard cider that way......

A couple slight changes for me -- as I did it on-heat....

Throw a rag in the bottom of your pot... Keeps the bottles from cracking against the bottom of the pots..

I did 160F for 20 minutes. Watched it with a kitchen cooking/meat thermometer....

Real Pry-off cap beer bottles are plenty strong for this duty -- as they are commercially pasturized fully carbed..... I wouldn't use screw cap beer bottles, though...

You don't loose any carbing this way -- once it is in the cider, and the cider is in the bottle, and the bottle is capped -- it stays.

I like it

One thing I found.....

Let them sit ~ 1 week before drinking..... I drank one the next day -- tasted like sweet, appley lighter fluid..... 1 week later -- pure delicious....

Thanks

John

Old 08-31-2010, 12:59 AM   #16
BrewsCampbell
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

could you do this en masse in the dishwasher?

Old 08-31-2010, 01:12 AM   #17
jwynia
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got a turkey roaster that goes down to 170F. I bet I could use that to do the same thing, but not have to manage the temperature at all. Just put the bottles in, set the timer, pull them out.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 AM   #18
naeco
Recipes 

Hello Pappers, my ultimate goal would be to make a strongbow clone as I really enjoy the taste and carbonation level of this cider and I think your technique would be promising.

Question : Would putting the bottles in the dishwasher work as you could put more ?

My only concern is that I was under the impression that you need to let your cider age after a racking in order to get a clear cider like the one shown in your pictures ? If I'm using freshly pressed cider and only want to take it to 1.010, it will take a week to two to get to that point and cider will still be very cloudy with yeast, apple sediment and bentonite. How do you get it to be so clear in so little time ?

thanks for the great post !

Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 AM   #19
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Regarding the ideas about using a dishwasher, I don't know enough about how warm a dishwasher gets, how consistent the heat is, etc. Perhaps someone else will want to explore this possible method.

John, my cider is ready to drink immediately, I suspect the difference in our experiences has to do with the recipes we use rather than any difference caused by the pasteurization.

Naeco, I did not use freshly pressed cider in that batch. Using store-bought filtered cider, it cleared in the bottles quickly.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 AM   #20
Indian_villager
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Is pasteurization of cider after fermentation absolutely necessary? I just figured I could let the fermentation run its course and then bottle with a wee bit of prime and be fine. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Quick Reply