Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #101
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 936 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

If you want to make still cider, I think cold crashing is good. Or I think you could stop it chemically, by adding potassium sorbate. I wouldn't pasteurize it in the gallon jug. 1.014 will definitely be sweet, I think, you can use your taste buds to decide what gravity reading works best for you - for me, its around 1.010.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #102
callmebruce
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pappers - I got my water up to 190, took it off the stove and put (10) 12 ounce bottles of cider in. The water temp went immediately down to 135 ish. I drained a little water and added more heated water to bring it up to 140. Am I looking at trying to keep the temp around 140? 160? Or just put the bottles in at 190 and let them sit?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #103
ckabee1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
If you want to make still cider, I think cold crashing is good. Or I think you could stop it chemically, by adding potassium sorbate. I wouldn't pasteurize it in the gallon jug. 1.014 will definitely be sweet, I think, you can use your taste buds to decide what gravity reading works best for you - for me, its around 1.010.
Cool. Cold crashing it is.

Thank you!

Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #104
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmebruce View Post
Pappers - I got my water up to 190, took it off the stove and put (10) 12 ounce bottles of cider in. The water temp went immediately down to 135 ish. I drained a little water and added more heated water to bring it up to 140. Am I looking at trying to keep the temp around 140? 160? Or just put the bottles in at 190 and let them sit?
My water, at the end of the ten minutes, is usually around 160. 135 seems like a big temperature drop, especially if it was instant - your bottles aren't cold, are they? Make sure you've got enough water in the pot (that its coming up to the necks of the bottles) and perhaps put in fewer bottles. Six at a time would mean you'd pasteurize four batches for a case.

I've never had a problem using the 190 degree water. If your setup is like mine (as shown in the photos), then I think you will be fine.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #105
callmebruce
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The bottles were room temp. I think I crowded the pot going for 10 at a shot. For the second batch, I kept it closer to 160. I'll keep an eye on the bottles, but I'm sure they're fine. Next time around, I'll stick to 6 bottles per batch. I see from your pics, you pot is bigger than mine. I can't fit a lid on mine when bottles are in it. I'm guessing the big change in temperature is from not having the lid and from having a lower volume of water.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:46 PM   #106
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmebruce View Post
I can't fit a lid on mine when bottles are in it. .
Maybe make a big foil tent to put over the top of the pot?

Old 11-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #107
callmebruce
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Naahhhh. I'll just get a bigger pot. Very cool thread. Very good instructions. I appreciate your posting it.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #108
noahps
Recipes 

Pappers - thanks for the advice on the over-carbonated bottles. I'm chalking this one up to education. I'll follow your suggestion and re-cap these and then pasteurize. I'll definitely be paying closer attention to the carbontion and the length of time my cider sits in bottles on future batches before pasteurizing!

Great thread - I've passed it along to a friend who has been finding out that his bottles are over carbonated too!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #109
Roachy
Recipes 

Hi guys.
I have a 5 gallon batch of cider OG = 1.056
12 days later (today) SG = 1.019
I found that my SG and Time is linear relationship. Basically I am losing about .003 points SG a day.
I plan to ferment until 1.010 for a semi-dry cider, then prime/bottle/wait/pasteurize.
My question is the wait. If I prime back to SG of 1.013 or so, then bottle, in 4 days the SG will appear to drop down to about 1.000. (too dry)

I am looking for a mildly carbonated cider that is not to dry or sweet. Will my cider be carbed sufficiently at 3 days? Do I need to bottle at a higher FG?
Thanks!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #110
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Think of it this way. If you get the cider to the sg (or sweetness/dryness balance) that you want, if you then bottle it with the right amount of sugar to carbonate it, when it is carbonated, it will still be the right sg or sweetness/dryness balance.

No one can answer your question on how many days. You must test it - if this is your first time using this process, then I would err on the side of testing/opening bottles too early and often.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Quick Reply