The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Good Cider Recipe for Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
Drahnreb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warispeace View Post
The smell should be gone by day 4 or 5, typically. Judging the cider by smell is not going to be very accurate. You're better off taking a hydrometer reading, you will get more consistent results that way.
Thank you. Do you know which one I need or if those two are the same?

Oechsleweight/Hydrometer to measure sugar content in wine, scale from -20 to +120

or

The Oechsleweight is the winemakers most important instrument. With the help of it it is possible to obtain considerably safer results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
kenstogie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

What are fellow brewers thoughts on Carbonating or not. I like the idea but I also like the idea of some sweetness too.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
warispeace
Recipes 

They're the same thing, only one of them comes with the flask. I would get that one, unless you already have a flask that size.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you want carbonation and sweetness, start thinking about a kegging system. You can backsweeten with non-fermentable sugar, but it wont be close to the taste of the original natural apple sugar.

In my experience, sulfur smell is a sign of either sulfite (campden) used before pitching the yeast, or a ferment that is going too fast. Keep sulfite use to a minimum and keep the ferments cool and it will smell good.

Use the forum search function - it can answer just about any question

Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
warispeace
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warispeace View Post
They're the same thing, only one of them comes with the flask. I would get that one, unless you already have a flask that size.
Actually, I'm not sure about the red one. The other one looks closer to the hydrometer I use.

Quick Reply