New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Dry Hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
LandoAllen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm am about to start a side by side comparison between Saaz and Citra hops to see which I like better. I've read that Citra has a lot of fruity flavors that it gives off and I thought this would be ideal for a cider.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Okay folks, today is the day! I am heading down to the brew store after I get out of the shower!
I am definitely going to do the cascade hops & A few others that were mentioned so far on this thread...

If you have any ideas about hops styles or types, please chime in today. I am curious what you guys think would be good hop to try

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 03-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #23
TheCollector
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good luck! And happy st. Patty's!

Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #24
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Update: I used .28 oz of the Mosaic hops in a 1 gallon batch and .5 oz of Cascade hops in a 3 gallon.

I'm crossing my fingers

Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Update: I just carbed up the hopped cider...

I have Cascade in one batch, Mosaic in one batch and the cider that I just carbonated is a mix of both and I think I like hopped cider better than anything in the world!!

This is so good I recommend anyone who has not dry hopped a cider to do so!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #26
Fermentdean
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade
Update: I just carbed up the hopped cider...

I have Cascade in one batch, Mosaic in one batch and the cider that I just carbonated is a mix of both and I think I like hopped cider better than anything in the world!!

This is so good I recommend anyone who has not dry hopped a cider to do so!
That sounds great I haven't tried the hop thing yet, how do you go about it. I just bottled 5 gals last night and have another month till the next one is ready, I will try it on that one, any info you could share would be great ... Thanks

Old 03-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #27
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermentdean

That sounds great I haven't tried the hop thing yet, how do you go about it. I just bottled 5 gals last night and have another month till the next one is ready, I will try it on that one, any info you could share would be great ... Thanks
If you want to do the whole 5 gallons just throw in the hops pellets like I did about a week before you bottle.... Try the Cascade or Mosaic...
I would use .5oz to .7oz... (A few of the guys suggest .1 ounce per gallon, But I really wanted to know what this flavor was like so I used a bit more)
Make sure you get some cheesecloth, Sanitize it along with a rubber band and wrap that around the tip of your racking cane so you can filter the sediment and larger pieces... But seriously dude once you do this you will be dry hopping cider all the time! It's 4:00 PM where I am and I cannot wait to get home for my evening glass of cider!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #28
LandoAllen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 to dry hopping. I am about to try Citra hops this time since it supposedly gives fruity tastes so I figured it would compliment cider well.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 AM   #29
LandoAllen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermentdean

Read thorough this whole thread and you will get a better idea of how it works.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #30
Fermentdean
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade

If you want to do the whole 5 gallons just throw in the hops pellets like I did about a week before you bottle.... Try the Cascade or Mosaic...
I would use .5oz to .7oz... (A few of the guys suggest .1 ounce per gallon, But I really wanted to know what this flavor was like so I used a bit more)
Make sure you get some cheesecloth, Sanitize it along with a rubber band and wrap that around the tip of your racking cane so you can filter the sediment and larger pieces... But seriously dude once you do this you will be dry hopping cider all the time! It's 4:00 PM where I am and I cannot wait to get home for my evening glass of cider!
Hey guys thanks for the advise. It does sound like one of those " you'll never go back again " type of things! My cider is killer and I like it dry, my last batch leaned just a bit towards sweet, barely , still great but if that same batch was hopped I bet it would turn into a top secret recipe. Thanks again and Badger I see I'm just up the big pond from you im in HMB

Quick Reply