Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Dry Hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

I have only tried two ciders with hops... But so far I think I like hopped cider more than anything else. There is something about it I can't put my finger on? I have tried Anthem Hopped and I have tried Tieton Yukima Vally Hopped.

I'm assuming that there is only one way to hop cider? But I sometimes hear it referred to as dry hopping? Is this different?
In your opinion what does this do, what are the benefits and what are the drawbacks. Is a hopped cider still gluten-free or does gluten only apply to grains?

Maybe you can also tell about your experience with hopping a cider and a little bit about the method of doing this.

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Pickled_Pepper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Since you don't have a hop schedule in a boiling wort like beer, dry hopping is the only method I am aware of. (I guess you could boil the juice) I suppose there are different ways to approach it though. A hop tea, adding at the beginning of fermentation, in secondary...

Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper
Since you don't have a hop schedule in a boiling wort like beer, dry hopping is the only method I am aware of. (I guess you could boil the juice) I suppose there are different ways to approach it though. A hop tea, adding at the beginning of fermentation, in secondary...
Okay so then dry hopping is pretty much the normal way to go?
How is this done and what does it do to the cider? Still gluten-free?

Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

I would just rack your cider on top of hops in the secondary and let it sit until you get the desired taste. As far as being gluten free...I assume it would be since it's just a flower. But you'd have to check to make sure.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
I would just rack your cider on top of hops in the secondary and let it sit until you get the desired taste. As far as being gluten free...I assume it would be since it's just a flower. But you'd have to check to make sure.
What type of timeframe are we looking at for the cider to sit on the Hops? The reason I ask is because I plan to rack it off the yeast cake probably after about three weeks or a month from primary into secondary... Then I'm going to let it sit in secondary for about three months, So if it takes only a month then I will do it at the last month... Unless I'm not supposed to do it this way?
And do I just put them in loose or do I need to put them in a little hops bag? I'm using a glass carboy so the neck is small, not like a bucket

Old 03-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

If you use pellet hops they start out small, but will swell up, so I would suggest just putting them in the carboy...not in a bag. They will eventually settle out or you can rack from underneath them.

I would start tasting your cider at 7-10 days. There are so many variables involved it's hard to say exactly how it should be handled. Hops will vary among the varieties as to how much Alpha Acids they contain. The higher the AA the more it's going to attribute to the flavor/aroma of the cider. You'll also have to consider the flavor of the hops. Some impart Pine, Citrus, Spice, Floral, Mint...the list goes on and on.

I use this list quite often when looking for hops to brew with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hop_varieties

You could always let it age for three months in secondary, rack to gallon jugs and try different varieties in each jug for varying lengths of time.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
If you use pellet hops they start out small, but will swell up, so I would suggest just putting them in the carboy...not in a bag. They will eventually settle out or you can rack from underneath them.

I would start tasting your cider at 7-10 days. There are so many variables involved it's hard to say exactly how it should be handled. Hops will vary among the varieties as to how much Alpha Acids they contain. The higher the AA the more it's going to attribute to the flavor/aroma of the cider. You'll also have to consider the flavor of the hops. Some impart Pine, Citrus, Spice, Floral, Mint...the list goes on and on.

You could always let it age for three months in secondary, rack to gallon jugs and try different varieties in each jug for varying lengths of time.
I see 6% AA Summit hops In the BrandonO Graff recipe? I wonder if I should try that in a jug? I have only made cider and never made any beer so I'm very unfamiliar with hops. What would be closest to the hop flavor that they use in cider normally off of the shelf? I would assume it would be something not too bold? If I was going to do three different 1 gallon test batches what do you feel the best three hops choices would be for you?

Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

I think that's what I'm going to do... I'm going to do three 1 gallon test batches...
I am very interested to hear what Pickled Peppers three hops choices are going to be, but I would also like to hear what the rest of you would choose as your three choices would be.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:

Thanks for this by the way

Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

I've made a few batches of Graf and just never seemed to find a combo that worked for me. I'm partial to UK varieties and I've been using Kent Goldings and Challenger in all of my beers lately. That doesn't mean that I would use them in cider though A lot of hops have certain attributes (apricot, tropical fruit, currant) but these qualities might not show up unless they are boiled in a wort. Again...a lot of variables involved.

Quick Reply