Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Drop Them Panties Again - Sweet Sparkling Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 02:17 AM   #51
donny70
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 5 Posts

Best label ever!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #52
tobinobin
Recipes 

Interesting recipe...I'm in the UK though and we don't seem to get cans of AJ concentrate. What exactly is it? Like diluting juice? We have apple juice from concentrate and diluting juice / squash here.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #53
HappyWino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinobin View Post
Interesting recipe...I'm in the UK though and we don't seem to get cans of AJ concentrate. What exactly is it? Like diluting juice? We have apple juice from concentrate and diluting juice / squash here.
I am pretty sure it doesn't exist in the UK. It isn't squash. It comes in a cardboard can about the size of a beer can, it's stored in the freezer and when defrosted it is a thick, syrupy, super sweet, super applely liquid. You typically add four times the volume of water to concentrate to turn it back into apple juice.

Cheers

HW

(Former Brit)
Old 12-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #54
tobinobin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWino View Post
I am pretty sure it doesn't exist in the UK. It isn't squash. It comes in a cardboard can about the size of a beer can, it's stored in the freezer and when defrosted it is a thick, syrupy, super sweet, super applely liquid. You typically add four times the volume of water to concentrate to turn it back into apple juice.

Cheers

HW

(Former Brit)
Damn, any recommendations on what to use instead? This recipe seems interesting.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #55
HappyWino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinobin View Post
Damn, any recommendations on what to use instead? This recipe seems interesting.
The only think I can think of would be to make your own concentrate by freezing regular apple juice (make sure you do it in a plastic container, glass will end badly!) I have never done this personally but the theory is that the water should freeze before the apple goodness which you just pour off. You could either monitor it as it freezes and get it at the point that you can pour the apple off the ice, or freeze it completely and invert it over funnel like the "Apple Jackers" do.

Good luck!

Cheers

HW

Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #56
tobinobin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWino View Post
The only think I can think of would be to make your own concentrate by freezing regular apple juice (make sure you do it in a plastic container, glass will end badly!) I have never done this personally but the theory is that the water should freeze before the apple goodness which you just pour off. You could either monitor it as it freezes and get it at the point that you can pour the apple off the ice, or freeze it completely and invert it over funnel like the "Apple Jackers" do.

Good luck!

Cheers

HW
Thanks for the tip - I might give this a go. Sounds tricky though. All in the name of alcohol though I suppose

Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #57
naeco
Recipes 

Great recipe but should be called Lemon in cider as it's very lemony!!!!!!!

OG: 1.085
Bottled at 1.020 without priming sugar.
final ABV: +- 9.5% ... surprisingly, you don't taste it but you'll feel it LOL.
Pasteurized using the stove top method.
Yeast: S04

Used grolsh bottles and I will NEVER use anything else WOW. Called a local bar and asked them to keep the bottles for me so I only pay the depot 0.20$ per bottle !

Trying 2 1 gallon batch tonight wit more apple concentrate and less sugar. 1 without lemonade and one with 1/4 of the suggested lemonade from original recipe.

Making cider is easy. Making great cider is tricky.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #58
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I have never made a cider before. Can you bottle this with regular beer bottles or does it have to be wine bottles?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #59
naeco
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckabrewski View Post
I have never made a cider before. Can you bottle this with regular beer bottles or does it have to be wine bottles?
Wine bottles if still(non-carbonated) and beer or champagne bottle if carbonated.

Making cider is easy. Making great cider is tricky.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #60
brewsmedic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, with great anticipation (in spite of the fact my wife said she passed that phase long ago....) I have put this in primary. Just a few notes to those who wish to do this again...

I had to basically have an extra gallon or two of cider to bring it up to 5.5. gallons. Not sure if I got it that high yet but I had to use spring water to make up the difference. I still got a SG of 1.080 so I'm pretty happy with that but be advised, you will need some more cider if you wish to avoid water.

I am planning on kegging this so I assume once it stops fermenting, I'll move it to secondary for a bit to rest and blend then stick it in a keg and carb it up.

My other assumption is there will still be a bit of sweetness left over using the ale yeast so I'll just have to carb it up and be good to go.

Quick Reply