Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 'donia Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Twistingking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 'donia Cider

OK all here is the recipe for cider I am trying. I am a noob to this and I kinda just winged it. I will let you know how the final product comes out.

1.5 Gallons home made cider (from my trees in back)
4 Gallons Apple Juice
5 ponds plain white sugar

6 gallon primary fermenter
1 Airlock

I combined all the juices in the fermenter except 1 gallon of juice. I put the remaining gallon of juice in my brew pot and brought it to a boil. After boiling slowly stir in Sugar and dissolve completely add to fermenter. The I sealed it and put it in the basement which averages 60 F. It bubbled really well the first week so far. Thats all I got I will fill you in as it develops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So you're using the natural yeasts left in the cider from mashing? Sounds like you've got a good ferment going already. Did you measure your specific gravity?

Old 11-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
Gosassin
Recipes 

The only thing I have to say is that I've been told/read that boiling cider will cause the pectins to solidify, and they may show up in the finished product. I've made jelly before, and boiling is what causes the pectin to set in that process, which seems to jibe with what I've been told. If it does show up, maybe use some gelatin in the carboy to drop it out? Otherwise, sounds like it's going to be pretty tasty!

Old 11-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Twistingking
Recipes 

I didn't get the gravity like I said I'm new to all this and had actually forgotten until about 2 days into fermenting.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistingking View Post
I didn't get the gravity like I said I'm new to all this and had actually forgotten until about 2 days into fermenting.
So what was the gravity at 2 days? What kind of yeast are you using?

Generally this sounds fine, but I like my ciders on the low end of the abv range, like session beers, around 5%. The addition of a lb of sugar per gallon in this recipe will probably put you in the 1.070 range. If that ferments down to dry or almost dry (which, if you're using a wine yeast, will happen) you're looking at a abv range of around 9 percent. Little high for me, and tends to get winey.

Let this ferment all the way dry, it will probably take a couple weeks, then let it sit for a few weeks more, month total. Rack this to a secondary (leaving the trub on the bottom behind) and let that age for a bit. Once it has cleared (or stopped producing sediment) you might be able to blend back in regular juice to bring the sweetness back (this will be very dry and not taste very appley). This will bring apple flavor back to it and cut the abv a little.

Either way, this stuff will put you to bed

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 11-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Twistingking
Recipes 

I didn't take the gravity at day 2 I thought it was to late. I am just using the natural yeast from the apples .

Old 12-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
Twistingking
Recipes 

Default update

OK I racked my Cider today I am still new at this and don't think I read the sg right it was 1.22 shouldn't it be lower? Does it matter the primary was kinda thick with apple pulp? T had a glass and it tasted like a dry wine with that hint of cider. I plan on bottling in a couple of weeks.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

It is definitely not 1.22, it might be 1.022, or even 1.002. Check out your hydrometer again, the scaling on it can be kind of tricky to understand if you haven't used that type of equipment before.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
Twistingking
Recipes 

Default New FG reading and ? about ABV

ok so I took another reading and i did read it wrong the first time it is at 1.020. Now if my starting gravity was 1.070. How do I know if its all the way dry yet? and what is the formula for ABV? I was using this
"Alcohol percentage by weight equals 76.08 times Original Gravity minus Final Gravity divided by 1.775 minus Original Gravity. It is easier to scribble this down: ABW = 76.08(OG-FG)/(1.775-OG).

You should remember that ABW is used mostly in the United States, while the rest of the beer world (as well as the wine and spirits world) measures Alcohol by Volume (ABV). That conversion is easy: ABV = ABW (FG/.794)." from Realbeer.com
and got 6.924 ABV doesthat sound right?

Old 12-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I estimate abv by doing (SG - FG) / .75, with this I got 6.67% so yeah, you are in that range. There are several estimating equations and I would rely on a more experienced brewer to say which is right, but this is close enough for me to get an idea.

Also, you can finish anywhere from .990 and up, that just depends on how much fermentables you had at the beginning and how much alcohol your yeast is up to make. With a SG of 1.070 I would expect this to drop down to at least 1.000 if not lower depending on your yeast. You will know its done when it gets down to a logical FG and stays there for a week or so as confirmed by multiple hydrometer readings.

Quick Reply