Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > D'oh, juice with preservatives, can I ferment it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzle View Post
So did repitching the yeast work ?? Im have the same issue but I read the lables of my juice and saw no sorbate just vitamin c and malic acid Ive pitched it twice and think maybe I had bad yeast or killed the yeast (water may have been too hot). But I have no activity in the air lock any advice would be appreciated.
Do not rely on airlock activity to confirm fermentation. Pop that airlock and listen to your primary. Do you hear a pop, sizzle? If so, you are fermenting.
What was the temp of water when you added the yeast...definitely a possibility for die off if too hot?

FWIW, I have never had an issue with a commercial product containing sorbate not fermenting, but benzoate is ugly stuff and I will not purchase products containing that when looking to ferment.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #12
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzle View Post
So did repitching the yeast work ?? Im have the same issue but I read the lables of my juice and saw no sorbate just vitamin c and malic acid Ive pitched it twice and think maybe I had bad yeast or killed the yeast (water may have been too hot). But I have no activity in the air lock any advice would be appreciated.
Bloom your yeast in a cup of warm water with a little dextrose. If you don't see activity then your yeast is no good.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
drizzle
Recipes 

Thanks I will repitch it tonight thank all very much I will keep you posted

Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
drizzle
Recipes 

Ok so I repitched and it worked great thanks