New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Does this look infected or is this normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
goodsuds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Does this look infected or is this normal?

OK, before I get flamed for starting another infection thread, let me just clarify that I've never brewed a cider before, so I'm not sure what to expect it to look like. This kind of looks like the spiderweb pattern I've seen with lactobacillus. I know the bubbles are just CO2. This is EdWort's Apfelwein using Montrachet yeast. It has been in primary for just over 6 weeks and had a strong fermentation for the first 10 days. After the airlock slowed down after week 3 I left it to sit on the basement floor at ambient and the thermometer on the carboy says 61*F.

The pictures suck but it was the best I could do without using the flash and getting a glare. If it looks normal, I won't sweat it, but if it looks infected I'll rack from underneath the surface.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
Fizzycist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Foam, bubbles, all that stuff can pretty much be ignored. It seems like the telltale is if there's a "skin" covering the top surface.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply