Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Do I need to pasteurize frozen apple juice concentrate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
cjeanean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Default Do I need to pasteurize frozen apple juice concentrate?

Hi, I'm getting ready to backsweeten and bottle my first batch, and I'm using frozen apple juice concentrate as the backsweetener. It's not pasteurized, and I'm wondering if I need to boil it before adding it to my cider. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
GinKings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

No, just pour it in. If you haven't added sulfite and sorbate, you may need to pasteurize it later to prevent the yeast from eating the sugar.

Pasteurization is typically done at two different stages. Cider mills pasteurize cider and juice to kill any wild yeast and other beasties that are in the juice. Cidermakers rarely pasteurize unfermented juice. Cidermakers sometimes pasteurize bottled cider or just before bottling to kill any yeast. Backsweetening a cider will often restart fermentation unless you do something to prevent the yeast from eating the added sugar. Adding sulfite and sorbate, pasteurization, and sterile filtering are a few of the methods.

Quick Reply