Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Do I have potential bottle bombs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 02:36 AM   #11
keelanfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

conpewter - that's a good idea. I'll try to do that with one and see what happens. Might be able to tell alot based on how it reacts when the pressure is released. I'll do it in the kitchen sink and cover with thick towels just in case.

Thanks for the idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 03:00 AM   #12
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Well, that was a big non-event. I unscrewed the cap and nothing, not even a hiss. Now I'm wondering if these caps that I bought at the local HBS even seal.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #13
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You could always pick out some "friends" you don't particularly care for and give them some special gifts of apfelwein. Make sure you point out that the longer you let it age, the better it is.

Seriously, you might have gotten lucky and gotten caps that are letting off the pressure. I'd open each of them up just in case.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Today we rebottled all six half gallon containers. When removing the caps, non of them even made a hiss. Good to know that these types of caps don't actually seal in pressure. Anywho, we ended up adding about 1.5 oz of priming sugar and then bottling and capping in typical brown beer bottles. Not nearly as attractive, but hopefully it will still carbonate and be tasty.

Thanks for the words of advice...Now I have 10 clear half gallon carboys for experimental batches or yeast starters, so not a total loss.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Google Waterloo Container They have a large amount of glassware. They supply all over the east coast. If you don't see what you like online ask for a complete catalog. I think I saw some clear jeraboam champagne bottles.

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 12-26-2008, 04:20 AM   #16
flatheadkissa
Recipes 

my tongues a drippen just lookin at the pic,

Old 12-26-2008, 04:24 AM   #17
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

At the LHBS where i am they have things they call growlers... they look like that and they are rated for up to three atmospheres of pressure i asked... try googleing

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 12-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #18
PAC762
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelanfish View Post
Man, what a bummer. These were going to be nice looking Christmas Gifts. Any recommendations for larger clear bottles that can show off the nice color and clarity?

I really like those tags as opposed to adhesive labels that are a pain to remove. Did you make them yourself? Are their direction online?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:31 AM   #19
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I made them myself. Kind of a pain, but it was worth it for presents. I did the design in AutoCAD (I'm a Civil Engineer) and printed on glossy 32# paper. There's print on the back as well, so instead of printing both sides and hoping they line up, I just printed side by side and folded in half and glued with a glue stick. This made them twice as thick and much more substantial. Cut them out with scissors and got a cheap grommet kit from Home Depot for $7. Took some time, but I'm happy with the end product.

Printing with a laser printer on glossy paper is nice because the ink doesn't smear even if it gets wet and the glossy paper is water resistant as well.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #20
PAC762
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelanfish View Post
Yeah, I made them myself. Kind of a pain, but it was worth it for presents. I did the design in AutoCAD (I'm a Civil Engineer) and printed on glossy 32# paper. There's print on the back as well, so instead of printing both sides and hoping they line up, I just printed side by side and folded in half and glued with a glue stick. This made them twice as thick and much more substantial. Cut them out with scissors and got a cheap grommet kit from Home Depot for $7. Took some time, but I'm happy with the end product.

Printing with a laser printer on glossy paper is nice because the ink doesn't smear even if it gets wet and the glossy paper is water resistant as well.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Very nice work. I hope I can make something 1/10th as nice.

Quick Reply