Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > DIY apple press?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 AM   #1
bloodsweatandcheers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default DIY apple press?

hey all, I've got like ~300 in my backyard on my trees, and would love to make em into cider, how should I press them?
LHBS has wine presses, but apparently, you need to puree the apple in a blender before I could use the wine grape press
thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

well if i had to Purée 300lbs of apples i would use the same method i use on fresh corn malt, before i mash it to make a homebrew not spoken of here......
....I use an old kitchen sink with a nice clean garbage disposal in it that dumps in to a 55 gal HD drum, the same method would make short work of the apples and get them prepped for pressing

Old 08-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
well if i had to Purée 300lbs of apples i would use the same method i use on fresh corn malt, before i mash it to make a homebrew not spoken of here......
....I use an old kitchen sink with a nice clean garbage disposal in it that dumps in to a 55 gal HD drum, the same method would make short work of the apples and get them prepped for pressing
Yah I think theres a thread somewhere on the garbage disposal grinder if you search

Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You might find this info i posted on an old thread helpful.

How to Build a Cider Press

You can also make one out of an old Maytag washer evidently. (this article is awesome, especially if you are going to consistantly be doing large batches...)

THE MAYTAG CIDER PRESS

Here's another design....ReadyMade: CIDER PRESS

I can't show you, you have to be a Craft Subscriber to view the online edition, but they recommend a 30 dollar home depot garbage disposal mounted on a frame and emptying into a bucket to shred the apples prior to juicing and pressing, for those of you who don't have a free juicer...
like this...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/fruit_press.aspx

scroll to middle of the page for a commonly used apple grinder. it has teeth on a drum that shred the apples.

Quick Reply