Dilema: Sodium Metabisufite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevalcider

Reaction score
Here's my dilema:

- mother in law insists on extensive Christmas wish lists
- I make one intentionally large to carry over until my birthday a month after Christmas
- I add home brew supplies to help me with my newfound cider brewing hobby. I was quite specific asking for Star San, a Super Agata BENCH CAPPER as well as a bottle rinser and a bottle santizer (sulfiter). I was intentional with naming the exact thing I wanted and even included links to the Amazon page with all the information needed.

- Today I received some of the gifts. In place of Star San I was given a kilo of powdered sodium metabisulfite. Now I am under the impression that this is a contact sanitizing solution but needs to be rinsed if I am using it in bottles and bottling equipment that I am using to bottle cider that is going to be going through bottle carbing and conditioning. It was because of this that I asked for Star San. I actually have sodium metabisulfite from some of the used wine making supplies I purchased. Do I keep the SO2 on hand or should I return it? The home brew store they purchased it from is just down the road and they kept receipts. I know that this store does not carry Star San.

- A second question....even though I was again very intentional in asking for a bench capper, along with Amazon links to the exact model I had researched and decided on, I ended up getting the Emily red wing capper. I had used my friend's and found that it worked well on certain bottle but on some of the others I used it didn't get near enough of a crimp. I thought that I would prefer a bench capper instead. I researched the models and came up with the one that I wanted. Now I know I might be sounding a little ungrateful here...but I feel that if you want me to go through the effort of making a list, at least respect the effort I put into it and get what I have indicated. What would you recommend with the capper? Is a bench capper something I should aspire to? Or should I just be content with the Emily for the moment?

I'd return the KMS, a kilo is a lot, it'll take forever to go through and it does loose potency during storage. Better to exchange it for whatever sanitizer the homebrew store has on hand since it'll be easier to mix up than a sulfur/citric bath. Though you should really rinse sanitizers off too, or at least let the bottles fully drip out before filling.

I prefer bench cappers over wing cappers since they tend to be more stable, but don't hesitate to use either one.

I'd return the KMS, a kilo is a lot, it'll take forever to go through and it does loose potency during storage. Better to exchange it for whatever sanitizer the homebrew store has on hand since it'll be easier to mix up than a sulfur/citric bath. Though you should really rinse sanitizers off too, or at least let the bottles fully drip out before filling.

I prefer bench cappers over wing cappers since they tend to be more stable, but don't hesitate to use either one.

Would you use sodium meta as a sanitizer for bottles if you are considering bottle conditioning? I keep thinking that rinsing sanitizer is just inviting a new batch of bad bugs into your bottles.

I guess I will most likely just use the wing capper for now and buy a bench capper at a later date. I think I am able to get a bigger bell for the Emily if I want to cap the larger crowns on champagne bottles. I think my gitch are tied up in pretty tight knots over the issue of being asked (almost demanded) to make a list, going through the effort of researching and deciding what it is I really want and then getting something I was specifically trying to stay away from.

I'd return the Sodium Metabisulphite and the wing capper, and get what you really want. You'll feel better about it in the end and you can always give attribution to your MIL.

You'll die before you use up that sodium metabisulphite (of course, you could pass it on to your kids and their kids :D)

I have a wing capper that has served me very well for nearly 20 years. I've snapped a few tops off over the years, and there was an occasional cap that was not crimped well enough - but nothing memorable. However, I would prefer a bench capper any day of the week (particularly the auto height adjusting kind).

I'd return the Sodium Metabisulphite and the wing capper, and get what you really want. You'll feel better about it in the end and you can always give attribution to your MIL.

You'll die before you use up that sodium metabisulphite (of course, you could pass it on to your kids and their kids :D)

I have a wing capper that has served me very well for nearly 20 years. I've snapped a few tops off over the years, and there was an occasional cap that was not crimped well enough - but nothing memorable. However, I would prefer a bench capper any day of the week (particularly the auto height adjusting kind).

Thanks for the vote of confidence. This is the direction my gut is leaning but somewhere in the back of my mind is this little nagging voice that is telling me I am being immature...:)

I'de return the wing capper and the Sodium Metabisulphite.

Sure both are via options (for a sanitizer and a capper), but frankly neither are worth my time and their hassle. Wing cappers don't distribute pressure as evenly (as easily) and hell they can even break a bottle if you man handle it. I also notice they wear out faster because of uneven pressure. I'de pony up for the bench, it's a ($20 difference on midwestsupplies) to be honest and it's worth it.

Save yourself shipping if you can find a local brew-shop (but will have to pay taxes).

I've capped thousands of bottles with a wing capper, haven't had any real issues, an odd bottle here and there but very very few. I was going to get a bench caooer but the wing style is just too easy and I love how easy it is to store.

Your mileage may vary.

I've capped thousands of bottles with a wing capper, haven't had any real issues, an odd bottle here and there but very very few. I was going to get a bench caooer but the wing style is just too easy and I love how easy it is to store.

Your mileage may vary.

I think if you had a bench, you would never go back. But to each his own.

I think if you had a bench, you would never go back. But to each his own.

I've been trying to give my darn wing capper away ever since I got the Agata Super bench. It's so much easier and faster to cap with it and it's not at all picky about bottles.

+1 on returning the Na-meta. You need StarSan.

Here is the latest addition to my belongings.
"
Leo Victor" is stamped on the side.

0222142023b.jpg

0222142024b.jpg

0222142025a.jpg

Back