I'm about to embark on my first ever cider-making attempt. Was planning to follow EdWort's Apfelwine recipe more or less. I'm using Lalvin 1118 yeast I picked up from the LHBS.
Doing two separate 1 gal. batches so I thought I'd scale down the sugar to 0.4 lbs. per batch. I was thinking about using organic cane sugar or even brown sugar instead of corn sugar. Anyone know what that would do to the taste? I also plan to boil a stick of cinnamon (to sanitize and extract flavors) and pour that into one of the two 1 gal. batches. Maybe some vanilla extract? I'm leaving one pure as a reference.
My plan is:
(1) boil cinnamon, cool, add little vanilla extract
(2) pour mixture into 1 gal jug of Central Market Organic Apple Juice
(3) add 0.4 cup of sugar
(4) cap and shake to mix
(5) sprinkle 1/4 packet of yeast (Lalvin EC-1118)
(6) install airlock and leave for 4 weeks
(7) mix with corn sugar (to carb) and bottle
and of course repeat steps for 2nd batch skipping #1
Anyone have comments on the procedure, or any experience with using brown sugar or cane sugar in step #3?