Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Differences in juices

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
dantose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Differences in juices

Ok, so my first experiment with cider was simple and awesome. My brother picked up some cheap cider from building 19 called martinellis gold medal cider. All I did was toss some yeast in and let it run for about 2-3 days, chilled it and drank. It came out slightly yeasty probably due to little time to settle, but other than that, it was awesome and I thought, "I could just keep making bunches of this to keep me off the stuff I'm trying to let age!"

Second shot was same thing with store brand concentrate rehydrated. it came out yeasty, sour, and much drier.

I'm assuming this is differences in the types of apples used so my question is, what should I be looking for to keep with that quick, tasty hard ciders? The first batch of 3 L didnt last long enough to decarbonate despite not being bottled.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Very few apple juices will list the apples used, a chronic problem. I'd love to get some Granny Smith juice.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply