Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Didn't this go waaay too fast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
mysigp226
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Didn't this go waaay too fast?

First attempt at brewing anything...

- 6g of 100% natural apple cider, pasteurized, lots of suspended stuff
- Yeast Nutrient (1/2 teaspoon per gallon)
- Acid Blend (tartaric, malic and citric)
- Lalvin 71B-1122 Yeast

Day 1 : Pitched it all in a fermenting bucket, left the lid off and covered with a towel (SG 1.049)

Day 2 : SG 1.046

Day 3 : SG 1.040 (put lid on bucket, and attached airlock as it didn't look like the fermenting was risking a blow off)

Day 4 : SG 1.020 (yesterday, I freaked out that it was dropping too quick so I racked off to a glass carboy, leaving some "gunk" behind in bucket. Hoping that would slow it down.)

Day 5 : SG 1.008 (tonight, *shock*)

The cider is _VERY_ cloudy, like nothing has settled. It tastes just fine as far as I can tell. I prefer a carbonated sweet cider. I'm wondering what to do? Should I cold crash it in my garage and then rack it off again?

I have pectic enzyme on order, but I didn't think the SG would drop so quickly so I don't know if it will help to add that when it arrives in a few days. The guy at the homebrew shop said I was at least a few months away from bottling when I started so I don't have any bottling gear either!

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Why are you checking your gravity everyday? Leave that cider alone for a month or two and let it do what it needs to do. It should clear up in a month or so.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 AM   #3
mysigp226
Recipes 

I was trying to keep tasting notes and measurements in an effort to learn what's going on Also, I believe my Cider book says to rackoff at 1.005 or there abouts..so that's why I was taking dailies waiting for that number.

So is the above "normal"? I had assumed the fermentation period didn't have a cyclical nature and that the SG would always go down until it hit a maximum low.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:07 AM   #4
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 2675

Sounds pretty normal to me. I'd leave it be for a while & let it finish, a month will do it good. Regards, GF.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 3

71B is a fast fermenter. Mine went from 1.060 to 1.000 in 6 days which is when I cold crashed it. My guess is that if you leave it alone it will get every last bit of sugar. If you age it a year, you may have a decent dry white wine. If you want something that is recognizable as cider, you want to cold crash it soon. That will probably help with the clarity as well

Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Elfmaze
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

bit earlie to really look at it. but looks like a nice exponential growth of the yeasties. Probably perfectly normal.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:27 AM   #7
mysigp226
Recipes 

Update to this thread...

I semi-cold crashed in the garage about 10 days after pitching the yeast and waited for the pectic enzyme to arrive. This seemed to slow down the fermentation process, but obviously did not kill the yeast (see below).

When the pectic enzyme arrived, I brought the 5g carboy in the house again and added it. (I purchased a 5g carboy sling/carrier and it was _WAY_ easier to handle...I highly recommend one)

I let the pectic enzyme work for a couple days and it cleared a little, but not enough for my tastes so I added some Sparkolloid and let it sit another week or two. During that period the fermentation kicked up a little bit, but not much.

When the Sparkolloid finished it's job the cider was nearly crystal clear. Absolutely beautiful. Taste was still sweet, a bit like Strongbow or Woodchuck.

I ended up priming and bottling 2 gallons worth of Growlers and 2 gallons worth of various jugs/plastic bottles. 3 gallons went into the refrigerator and 1 gallon I pasteurized in Growlers using my canning boiler for longer term storage at room temperature. (I haven't tried the pasteurized stuff yet)

I had a glass a few nights ago of the refrigerator cider and enjoyed it immensely. It had a light sparkle to it. It's awesome as is, only 30 days after pitching. Or as awesome as a first timer can expect A couple friends have tried some and said it was good, and they are the kind of friends that would tell me it sucked if it did.

I put the remaining liquid in a 1gallon carboy and it's still slowly bubbling on the counter. I want to let it sit until I run out of the "sweet" stuff and compare against the aged version.

The 1gallon apple cider is on the left

1g Carboy's: Sweet Sparkling Apple Cider,empty,empty,empty
Bottled: Strawberry Wine
Mini-Kegged: Sweet Sparkling Apple Cider,Cranberry/Apple Cider, S04 Cider
Past Work: Raspberry Cider

Reason: add a picture

Old 11-16-2008, 03:30 AM   #8
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

congratulations on your happy result.
Cider really should be drunk fresh, like beer not like wine. So I think your timing was right on. If you leave the ferment a little longer at a higher temp you will get a dryer drink - its just a question of style.

BTW you will find that you can add pectinase at the beginning of your ferment rather than in the secondary. Also next time you might find that drinking it right at 5 days is very tasty. Sure its not clear and it has a bit of a yeasty note but a lot of people like this cloudy type of drink as well.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Agreed, I make my cider with nottingham and nothing else (og 1.050), and after three weeks it's down to about 1.008 or so. Perfect for me, not clear, but has plenty of apple character and just enough sweetness left. I find that the wine yeasts take away alot of the flavor and mouthfeel. My .02.

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 11-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
Sager Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started my first batch a few weeks ago, I hope to bottle in about another week.

I used the Nottingham yeast, but then I read that Wheat yeasts work well to help keep them more sweet. So my next batch I am going to try that.

Mine is 100% fresh pressed juice no additives, not pasteurized, but they do a UV thing that is supposed to kill bacteria. SG was 1.058

Drinking: All kinds of stuff
Primary: Cider
Secondary:
Kegged: Rollings Hills Pale Ale
Conditioning/bottled: Rollings Hills Pale Ale, Clackmananshire Wee Heavy
On Deck: Oldenwald Dunkelweizen.

Quick Reply