The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Did I use cider w/preservatives? Meijer brand.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
Kitchi Gumee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Did I use cider w/preservatives? Meijer brand.

Hello,

I've got really slow fermentation and I'm afraid I may have used cider with preservatives in it or something. Here's the story:

I made a batch of Edwort's Apfelwein on September 17th, but I used Munton's Ale Yeast. After 3 weeks the gravity had dropped from about 1.056 to 1.044. I repitched, light fermentation began again, and it has been bubbling once every 25 seconds or so for another three weeks. I just checked the gravity and it is only at 1.036, which makes me want to smash a carboy.

I thought I checked the ingredients when I picked Meijer apple cider. If I remember correctly it stated that it was pasteurized and contained vitamin c (ascorbic acid). Does anyone know if this is correct?? Are there preservatives I've missed or does my tale of woe even sound possible if there are preservatives?

I know some folks will say to just sit tight, which normally I would agree with, but I am gonna need this carboy in the next couple weeks and I can't afford to just buy a new one at this point.

Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Munton's is a notorious underattentuating yeast- that's your issue. I'd consider repitching a champagne yeast.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
Kitchi Gumee
Recipes 

Oh man was I hoping to hear something along those lines, especially since i'm heading to the lhbs tomorrow.

Just out of curiousity, a few weeks ago I had a belgian dubbel that kicked out at about 1.022. I pitched a pack of munton's ale and it finished right up at 1.014 in about 3 days. Any reason that it would be so terrible in the cider but do the trick in the dubbel that already had an abv over 6%?

Old 10-29-2008, 03:19 AM   #4
lapaglia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

apple jiuce/cider has low nutrients. Very low. Get a lalvin EC-1118 and you will be fine.

On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone

Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 1668

Won't hurt to add a little yeast nutrient / yeast energizer to the must; be sure to mix it with water/must BEFORE you add to the must in primary as your fermentation is underway. Adding dry powder to an active fermentation can cause some foaming. Regards, GF.

Quick Reply